Calculating Fermi Energy for Gold Atoms

In summary, to find the Fermi energy for a sample of gold with a density of 19.32 g/cm3, one must first determine the number of electrons, N, by using the mass of a single atom and the fact that each gold atom contributes one electron to the free electron Fermi gas. Once N is known, it can be used in the equation for Fermi energy to obtain a numerical value.
roam

Homework Statement

The density of gold (atomic mass 197) is 19.32 g/cm3. Assuming each gold atom contributes one electron to the free electron Fermi gas, calculate the Fermi energy in eV.

Homework Equations

Fermi energy is given by:

[itex]E_F=\frac{h^2}{8m_e} \left( \frac{3N}{\pi V} \right)^{2/3}[/itex]

The total number of electrons is

[itex]N= \int^{\infty}_0 n(E) dE = \int^{E_F}_0 (8 \pi V/h^3) (2m_e^3)^{1/2} E^{1/2} dE = \frac{16 \pi V(2m_e^3)^{1/2}}{3h^3} E_F^{3/2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the Fermi energy I want to use the first equation but I need to know the number of electrons N (which is equal to the number of atoms), and the volume V. I found the volume but I'm not sure how to find N:

[itex]V=\frac{m}{\rho} = \frac{197 \times (1.66 \times 10^{-27}) \ kg}{19.32 \times (10^{-3}/10^{-6}) \ kg/m^3}[/itex]

So how can I find the number of electrons? How can I use the second equation to find N without knowing EF? :confused:

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you really need the number or something else for EF?

Edit:
BTW, what volume did you actually calculate?

Dickfore said:
Do you really need the number or something else for EF?

Edit:
BTW, what volume did you actually calculate?

Yes, I believe I need the actual numerical value of EF to be able to use that equation.

I calculated the total volume of the Fermi gas under consideration.

Wrong, you are asked to find the Fermi energy by using that equation.

Wrong, the mass that you used is not the mass of the whole sample, but something else.

Dickfore said:
Wrong, you are asked to find the Fermi energy by using that equation.

Wrong, the mass that you used is not the mass of the whole sample, but something else.

Sorry. Yes, that's the volume based on the mass of a single atom.

How can we solve that equation for EF without knowing N?

We don't know how many atoms are in the sample...

roam said:
Sorry. Yes, that's the volume based on the mass of a single atom.

How can we solve that equation for EF without knowing N?

We don't know how many atoms are in the sample...

So, how many atoms does a sample with a mass equal to one atom contain? You are given the number of electrons each atom contributes. This should suffice to obtain N.

Dickfore said:
So, how many atoms does a sample with a mass equal to one atom contain? You are given the number of electrons each atom contributes. This should suffice to obtain N.

So, do you mean we can then just use N=1?

Related to Calculating Fermi Energy for Gold Atoms

1. What is the importance of calculating Fermi energy for gold atoms?

The Fermi energy is a fundamental property of a material that determines its electronic and transport properties. For gold atoms, it is particularly important as gold is widely used in electronics, jewelry, and as a standard for currency. Knowing the Fermi energy of gold can help in understanding and predicting its behavior in various applications.

2. How is Fermi energy calculated for gold atoms?

Fermi energy for gold atoms can be calculated using the formula EF = h2/2m(3π2n)2/3, where h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the gold atom, and n is the number density of gold atoms.

3. What factors affect the Fermi energy of gold atoms?

The Fermi energy of gold atoms can be affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, and impurities. It can also vary depending on the size and shape of the gold particles, as well as the arrangement of the atoms in a crystal lattice.

4. How does the Fermi energy of gold atoms compare to other materials?

The Fermi energy of gold atoms is relatively high compared to most other materials. This is because gold has a high atomic number and a relatively large number of electrons per atom, leading to a higher Fermi energy. However, it is still lower than the Fermi energy of some other metals such as copper and silver.

5. Can the Fermi energy of gold atoms be experimentally measured?

Yes, the Fermi energy of gold atoms can be measured using various experimental techniques such as X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, electron energy-loss spectroscopy, and scanning tunneling microscopy. These techniques allow for the direct observation of the electronic structure of gold atoms and the determination of their Fermi energy.