Always calculating Fermi energy incorrectly

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with finding the correct answer for a Fermi energy problem. They realize they have been using the value for h instead of ħ and are seeking help to correct their mistake.
sa1988

Homework Statement

This isn't really a homework question but I didn't know where to put it.

Homework Equations

##E_f = \frac{h^2 k_f^2}{2m}##
##k_f = (3 \pi^2n)^{\frac{1}{3}}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm going through a lot of examples and every time I punch the numbers in I get an incorrect result.

For example, I'm looking at the below solution, which has come from a typical 'find the Fermi energy' question. The image shows the final stage of the problem, where n has been found and all that's left to do is plug it into the given Fermi energy equation.
2jbqm28.jpg

However my attempt comes out like so:

##E_f = \frac{\hbar^2 k_f^2}{2m} = \frac{\hbar^2(3\pi^2 2.65*10^28)^{\frac{2}{3}}}{2m} = \frac{(6.63*10^{-34})^2(3\pi^2*2.65*10^{28})^{\frac{2}{3}}}{2*9.1*10^{-31}} = 2.05*10^{-17}##

##\frac{2.05*10^{-17}}{1.6*10^{-19}}= 128eV##

## \neq 3.2eV##

What's going wrong? I'm making a similar mistake on every Fermi Energy problem I do. The one common error I'm noticing is that my answers always seem to be out be a factor of ##10^{-2}##

Where is the glaring, basic textbook error I'm making here? Something to do with using the correct units? An incorrect value for one of the constants? I think I need a second pair of eyes to look this over for me.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're using the value for ##h##, not ##\hbar##.

Likes sa1988
vela said:
You're using the value for ##h##, not ##\hbar##.

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Related to Always calculating Fermi energy incorrectly

1. What is Fermi energy and why is it important in calculations?

Fermi energy is the highest energy state occupied by an electron at absolute zero temperature. It is an important parameter in calculating the electronic properties of materials, such as electrical conductivity and band structure.

2. How is Fermi energy typically calculated?

Fermi energy is usually calculated using the Fermi-Dirac distribution function, which takes into account the number of electrons and the available energy states in a material. This results in a value that represents the average energy of the electrons in the material.

3. What are some common mistakes made when calculating Fermi energy?

Some common mistakes include using incorrect values for the number of electrons or available energy states, not taking into account temperature or external factors that may affect the electron energy levels, and using the wrong formula or method for calculation.

4. How can one ensure they are calculating Fermi energy correctly?

One way to ensure accuracy is to double check all input values and use the correct formula for the specific material and conditions being studied. It is also helpful to consult with other scientists or references to verify the calculation method.

5. What are the consequences of incorrectly calculating Fermi energy?

Incorrectly calculating Fermi energy can lead to inaccurate results in predicting the electronic properties of a material. This can have significant consequences in various fields, such as materials science, electronics, and energy research. It is important to double check calculations and strive for accuracy in order to obtain reliable data and results.