Calculating $f_n(\theta)$ for Positive Integers $n$

In summary, the value of $f_n(\theta)$ for positive integer $n$ is $\tan{2^{n}\theta}$ and for the specific values given in the conversation, the value is 1.
sbhatnagar
For a positive integer $n$, let

$$f_n(\theta)=\tan \frac{\theta}{2}(1+\sec \theta)(1+\sec 2\theta)(1+\sec 4 \theta)\cdots (1+\sec2^n \theta)$$

Find the value of

(i) $f_2 \left(\dfrac{\pi}{16} \right)$

(ii) $f_3 \left(\dfrac{\pi}{32} \right)$

(iii) $f_4 \left(\dfrac{\pi}{64} \right)$

(iv) $f_5 \left(\dfrac{\pi}{128} \right)$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
sbhatnagar said:
For a positive integer $n$, let

$$f_n(\theta)=\tan \frac{\theta}{2}(1+\sec \theta)(1+\sec 2\theta)(1+\sec 4 \theta)\cdots (1+\sec2^n \theta)$$

Find the value of

(i) $f_2 \left(\dfrac{\pi}{16} \right)$

(ii) $f_3 \left(\dfrac{\pi}{32} \right)$

(iii) $f_4 \left(\dfrac{\pi}{64} \right)$

(iv) $f_5 \left(\dfrac{\pi}{128} \right)$

Hi sbhatnagar, :)

It can be shown by mathematical induction that,

\[f_n(\theta)=\tan{2^{n}\theta}\mbox{ where }n\in\mathbb{Z}^{+}\]

Therefore,

\[f_2 \left(\dfrac{\pi}{16} \right)=f_3 \left(\dfrac{\pi}{32} \right)=f_4 \left(\dfrac{\pi}{64} \right)=f_5 \left(\dfrac{\pi}{128} \right)=\tan\left(\frac{\pi}{4}\right)=1\]

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Related to Calculating $f_n(\theta)$ for Positive Integers $n$

1. What is the formula for calculating $f_n(\theta)$?

The formula for calculating $f_n(\theta)$ is $f_n(\theta) = \cos(n\theta) + i\sin(n\theta)$, where $i$ is the imaginary unit and $n$ is a positive integer.

2. How does $n$ affect the value of $f_n(\theta)$?

As $n$ increases, the value of $f_n(\theta)$ will oscillate more rapidly between positive and negative values, with a higher frequency. Conversely, as $n$ decreases, the value of $f_n(\theta)$ will oscillate more slowly with a lower frequency.

3. Can $f_n(\theta)$ be negative for any values of $n$ and $\theta$?

No, $f_n(\theta)$ cannot be negative for any values of $n$ and $\theta$. This is because the cosine and sine functions, which make up the real and imaginary parts of $f_n(\theta)$, always produce values between -1 and 1, resulting in a complex number with a non-negative real part.

4. Are there any special values of $n$ or $\theta$ that result in a simplified form of $f_n(\theta)$?

Yes, there are some special values of $n$ and $\theta$ that result in a simplified form of $f_n(\theta)$. For example, when $n=1$, $f_1(\theta) = \cos(\theta) + i\sin(\theta)$, which is equivalent to the complex number $e^{i\theta}$. Additionally, when $\theta = 0$ or $\theta = \pi$, $f_n(\theta)$ simplifies to $1$ and $-1$, respectively.

5. How is $f_n(\theta)$ used in real-world applications?

$f_n(\theta)$ has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing. It is commonly used in representing and manipulating periodic functions, as well as in solving differential equations and analyzing signal data. Additionally, $f_n(\theta)$ is an essential component in understanding and visualizing complex numbers and their relationships in the complex plane.