Calculating divergence as a function of radius

In summary, the conversation is about finding the divergence as a function of radius for different radially symmetrical fields. The moderator advises using a formatting template when starting a thread in the homework sections. The member is struggling with a question and has provided some equations and notes, asking for clarification on how to find the correct fields. The moderator explains that the fields need to be constant or inversely proportional to the radius, and provides an example of a vector field. The member is asked to follow post #4 for the four fields and to look up the expression for ∇⋅ F for cylindrical coordinates.
Caleb Jones
{Moderator note: Member advised to retain and use the formatting template when starting a thread in the homework sections}

Hey guys

Question:
Calculate the divergence as a function of radius for each of the following radially
symmetrical fields in which the magnitude of the field vector:
(a) is constant;
(b) is inversely proportional to the radius;
(c) is inversely proportional to the square of the radius;
(d) is inversely proportional to the cube of the radius.

Im completely stumped on this question...
What I've got so far: (None of this was provided in the question)
Radial field:
V = 1/r2 (Vector "r")
Divergence of a spherical Shell:

div F = ∇⋅F

Flux through a spherical shell:
∅ = ∫ E.dA ---> E Constant
∅ = E ∫ dA
∅ = E×4(pi)×r2

Im not sure if I'm on the right path here though

Cheers
Caleb

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Caleb Jones said:
Radial field:
V = 1/r2 (Vector "r")
That is a scalar field, not a vector field. A vector field could be ##\vec F = \vec r##, for example.
You'll have to find the correct fields first.

Likes Caleb Jones
mfb said:
That is a scalar field, not a vector field. A vector field could be ##\vec F = \vec r##, for example.
You'll have to find the correct fields first.
Thank you mfb
How do I find these fields?
Can I just use any symmetric field?
Sorry for my lack of knowledge, this hasn't been explained in lectures or in our lecture notes

Caleb Jones said:
Can I just use any symmetric field?
You'll need a field that is (a) constant with r, (b) inversely proportional to the radius, and so on. The field I gave as example is proportional to the radius.

Follow post #4 to get your 4 fields. His example (field proportional to r) could also be written F = k1 r with r as the unit vector so Fr = k1 where F = Fr r.

What is the expression for ∇⋅ F for cylindrical coordinates? Look it up most anywhere. Rest is a gimme.

Related to Calculating divergence as a function of radius

1. What is divergence?

Divergence is a mathematical concept that measures the rate at which a vector field is expanding or contracting at a particular point. It is represented by the symbol ∇ ⋅ F and is a function of the partial derivatives of the vector field's components with respect to each direction.

2. How is divergence related to radius?

In the context of vector fields, divergence is often calculated as a function of radius to understand how the vector field is changing as you move away from a central point. This is because the magnitude of divergence is affected by the distance from the source of the vector field.

3. What is the formula for calculating divergence as a function of radius?

The formula for calculating divergence as a function of radius is:
∇ ⋅ F = (1/r) * (d/dr)(rFr),
where r is the radius and Fr represents the radial component of the vector field.

4. Why is it important to calculate divergence as a function of radius?

Calculating divergence as a function of radius allows us to understand how a vector field is changing as we move away from the source. This is important in many fields, such as fluid mechanics, where knowing the rate of expansion or contraction of a fluid at different distances can help predict its behavior.

5. How is divergence used in practical applications?

Divergence is used in many practical applications, such as analyzing fluid flow, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. It is also used in computer graphics to create realistic visual effects. Understanding divergence as a function of radius can help in designing and optimizing systems and processes that involve vector fields.