Calculating Distance Between Two Vectors in a Camping Scenario

• Thread starter Crusaderking1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the distance between Karl's tent and Joe's tent is 39.41 meters, with Karl's tent located at 32.83{i} -28.54{j} and Joe's tent located at 22.09{i}+ 9.38{j}. The final answer was obtained by calculating the square root of the sum of the squares of the x and y components of dk and dj.
Crusaderking1

Homework Statement

You are camping with two friends, Joe and Karl. Since all three of you like your privacy, you don't pitch your tents close together. Joe's tent is 24.0 m from yours, in the direction 23.0 degrees north of east. Karl's tent is 43.5 m from yours, in the direction 41.0 degrees south of east.

What is the distance between Karl's tent and Joe's tent?

Homework Equations

Karl's tent dk = 32.83{i) -28.54{j}
Joe's tent dj = 22.09{i}+ 9.38{j}

The Attempt at a Solution

Karl's tent dk = 32.83{i) -28.54{j}
Joe's tent dj = 22.09{i}+ 9.38{j}

dkj=dkjx{i}+dkjy{j}

9.38 + dkjy=-28.54
22.09{i}+dkjx=32.83

22.09-32.83= -10.74
9.38+28.54 = 37.92

(10.74)2+(37.92)2 and then square root = 39.41m.

Is that right. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Final answer looks too big. Assuming your location is at the origin, dj looks fine, but shouldn't dk have a negative j component?

lewando said:
Final answer looks too big. Assuming your location is at the origin, dj looks fine, but shouldn't dk have a negative j component?

Ok, I changed it to 39.41 meters.

Last edited:
Much better :smile: !

lewando said:
Much better :smile: !

thanks!

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Distance Between Two Vectors in a Camping Scenario

What is the definition of distance between two vectors?

The distance between two vectors is a measure of the length of the shortest path connecting the two vectors in a given space.

How is the distance between two vectors calculated?

The distance between two vectors is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the square of the distance is equal to the sum of the squares of the differences between the corresponding components of the two vectors.

What is the significance of calculating the distance between two vectors?

Calculating the distance between two vectors is important in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and statistics. It helps to determine the magnitude and direction of a vector, as well as the relationship between different vectors.

Can the distance between two vectors be negative?

No, the distance between two vectors is always a positive value. This is because the Pythagorean theorem involves squaring the differences between the components of the vectors, resulting in positive values.

Is the distance between two vectors affected by the dimension of the space they are in?

Yes, the distance between two vectors is affected by the dimension of the space they are in. In higher dimensions, the distance between two vectors can be greater than in lower dimensions, even if the vectors have the same components.