Calculating Delta T for a Resistor - Philip's Guide

In summary, to find the change in temperature using specific heat, density, current density J, and the time that J exists, you will also need either the potential gradient or the resistivity of the material. This is because different materials with the same current density can have different resistivity, which affects the Ohmic power loss and ultimately the change in temperature.
philipc
Lets say I'm given a 'specific heat, density, currenty density J, and the time that J exist, how can if find the the change in Temperature? My main problem is I don't know how to start the problem, a couple pointer in the right direction would be great.
Thanks
Philip

Physics news on Phys.org
philipc said:
Lets say I'm given a 'specific heat, density, currenty density J, and the time that J exist, how can if find the the change in Temperature? My main problem is I don't know how to start the problem, a couple pointer in the right direction would be great.
Thanks
Philip

I don't think you have enough information here to solve this. You need at least one more info, either the potential gradient that is producing that current density, or the resistivity of the material (these two values are related). This is because, for the SAME current density, materials with different resistivity will produce different Ohmic power loss - this is what needs to be used to find the change in temperature.

Zz.

Zz,
thanks for your quick response
I just read the question again and I guess my professor forgot to put resistivity into the problem, but the final answer does include it.
Philip

Related to Calculating Delta T for a Resistor - Philip's Guide

1. What is Delta T and why is it important in resistor calculations?

Delta T, or ΔT, refers to the change in temperature of a resistor. It is important in calculations because it affects the resistance of the resistor, which in turn affects the flow of current and the voltage drop across the resistor. Accurate calculation of Delta T is crucial in ensuring the proper functioning and longevity of a resistor.

2. How do I calculate Delta T for a resistor?

To calculate Delta T for a resistor, you need to know the initial temperature of the resistor, the final temperature of the resistor, and the thermal resistance of the resistor. The formula for calculating Delta T is ΔT = (Tf - Ti) / Rth, where Tf is the final temperature, Ti is the initial temperature, and Rth is the thermal resistance.

3. What units are used for Delta T and thermal resistance?

Delta T is typically measured in degrees Celsius (°C) or Kelvin (K). Thermal resistance is measured in degrees Celsius per watt (°C/W) or Kelvin per watt (K/W). It is important to make sure that the units of all values used in the Delta T calculation are consistent.

4. How does Delta T affect the power rating of a resistor?

Delta T directly affects the power rating of a resistor. As Delta T increases, the resistance of the resistor also increases, which can cause the resistor to dissipate more heat. This can lead to a decrease in the power rating, as the resistor may not be able to handle the increased heat dissipation without getting damaged.

5. Can I use the same Delta T calculation for all types of resistors?

No, the Delta T calculation may vary for different types of resistors. This is because different types of resistors have different thermal resistances and may have different temperature coefficients. It is important to refer to the manufacturer's specifications for the specific resistor being used to ensure an accurate Delta T calculation.