Calculating a straight line within a sphere

In summary, the question at hand is about 3D geometry and involves determining the geographical direction and inclination between two points on a sphere, given their longitudes and latitudes. The approach discussed involves using spherical trigonometry and calculating 3D coordinates of the points to find the direction and inclination. However, it is important to take into account both longitude and latitude values in order to accurately determine the angles.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
This is a fiction project, but the question is about 3D geometry (a bit beyond my HS math skills).

Given two points on a sphere (oh say, hypothetically, the Earth), draw a line from point A through the Earth to Point B.

If I were to stand on point A and point directly at point B, what geographical direction (eg.NNE) would I be pointing and what inclination (eg. 30 degrees down)?

Very rounded numbers (and compass points) are fine.

Point A is 45N 60W
Point B is 60N 100E

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
This is a fiction project, but the question is about 3D geometry (a bit beyond my HS math skills).

Given two points on a sphere (oh say, hypothetically, the Earth), draw a line from point A through the Earth to Point B.

If I were to stand on point A and point directly at point B, what geographical direction (eg.NNE) would I be pointing and what inclination (eg. 30 degrees down)?

Point A is 45N 60W
Point B is 60N 100E
I haven't thought about the direction, but I have given some thought to the inclination of the line joining the two points.
GCircle.png

Any two points on a sphere lie on a "great circle," as shown in the figure above. For the inclination of line segment ##\overline{AB}##, the longitude plays no role -- only the latitude is important. Point A's latitude is 45° N, and point B's latitude is 60° N, so rays extending from the center of the Earth make angles of 45° and 60°, respectively, with the equator. The triangle shown here is an isosceles triangle whose lower angle is 75°. The angles at A and B are 52.5° each.

If you draw a line at A that is tangent to the great circle, the angle between this tangent and ##\overline{AB}## will be 37.5°, the angle of declination of the line from point A to point B.

I leave the other part of your question to others who might be interested.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:

Point A is 45N 60W
Point B is 60N 100E

Some spherical trigonometry would be of great help. If you have the time and patience to read, take a look at the first chapter of this book.

@Mark44: If longitude plays no role, what about this situation?
Point A is 45N 60W
Point B is 60N 60W
Clearly the great circle connecting those has 90 degrees inclination. Your approach only works if the longitude is different by 180 degrees.If in doubt, calculate the 3D coordinates for both points, everything else follows from that.

mfb said:
@Mark44: If longitude plays no role, what about this situation?
Point A is 45N 60W
Point B is 60N 60W
Clearly the great circle connecting those has 90 degrees inclination. Your approach only works if the longitude is different by 180 degrees.
The approach I described is only for the inclination of the segment joining the two points, not the distance between them, in which the longitude necessarily plays a role. For the scenario you give, the central angle of the isosceles triangle is 15°, so the base angles are each 82.5°. From this, the angle of declination from A to B is -7.5°.

To find the direction of the segment, I agree that you would need the coordinates (3D rectangular would be easiest, I think) of the two points. From these you could find a vector joining the two points, and from that, find the compass direction from one point to the other.

That inclination depends on longitude already. Just with the latitude values, you cannot do anything apart from determining the minimal inclination.

mfb said:
That inclination depends on longitude already. Just with the latitude values, you cannot do anything apart from determining the minimal inclination.
After thinking about this some more, I realize you're right. Your example of two points at the same longitude didn't really show this, but if the two points are both on the equator (i.e., same latitude), then the angle of inclination comes solely from the longitude. If the two points are at the same longitude, then only the latitudes come into play. If long./lat. are different for both points, then both have to be used.

My error was in not taking into account that the angles relative to the great circle through the two points can be different from the angles relative to the equatorial plane.

Related to Calculating a straight line within a sphere

1. How do you calculate a straight line within a sphere?

To calculate a straight line within a sphere, you will need to know the coordinates of two points on the sphere's surface. Then, you can use the Haversine formula or the Law of Cosines to find the shortest distance between the two points, which will be the straight line within the sphere.

2. What is the Haversine formula?

The Haversine formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the great-circle distance between two points on a sphere. It takes into account the curvature of the sphere's surface, and is often used in navigation and astronomy calculations.

3. Can the Pythagorean theorem be used to calculate a straight line within a sphere?

No, the Pythagorean theorem only applies to flat surfaces and cannot be used on a curved surface like a sphere. The Haversine formula or the Law of Cosines must be used instead.

4. What is the Law of Cosines?

The Law of Cosines is a trigonometric formula that can be used to find the length of a side or the measure of an angle in a non-right triangle. It can also be used to calculate the distance between two points on a sphere, making it useful for determining a straight line within a sphere.

5. Are there any online tools or software that can help with calculating a straight line within a sphere?

Yes, there are several online calculators and software programs available that can help with calculating a straight line within a sphere. Some popular ones include GeoGebra, MathisFun, and Wolfram Alpha.