Charged sphere place within a cylindrical capacitor

In summary, the problem involves a long cylindrical capacitor with an earthed outer conductor and an insulated, uncharged inner conductor. A charged sphere is inserted into the inner conductor without touching it. The question asks for diagrams showing the distributions of induced charges and E field lines in two perpendicular planes through the centre of the sphere, and then to use Gauss' Law to find the electric field strength and potential of the inner cylinder. The charge on the sphere is Q=V4∏ε0 and this induces an equal and opposite charge on the inner surface of the inner conductor. The outer surface of the inner conductor will have the opposite charge again, while the outer conductor will have a charge of zero due to being earthed. The second part of
ces75

Homework Statement

The outer conductor (radius b, length l) of a long cylindrical capacitor is earthed. The inner conductor (radius a, length l) is hollow, insulated and uncharged. A sphere of radius R is charged to a potential V far from any other bodies and is inserted inside the inner conductor of the cylindrical capacitor without touching it. (The length l of the capacitor is very much greater than R so end effects can be neglected.)

Draw diagrams showing the distributions of the induced charges and the E field lines in two perpendicular planes through the centre of the sphere one parallel and one perpendicular to the axis of the cylinders.

Show that the electric field strength at a radius a<r<b is E=2RV/rl and hence find the potential of the inner cylinder. Do your answers depend on whether or not the sphere is on the axis of the cylinders?

Homework Equations

I would assume Gauss' Law, potential of a point charge and charge/charge density on a sphere.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted the first part but was not really confident with my answer to start on the second.
I'm not sure what the significance of cylinder a being insulated is, and did not include any effects from it in my diagrams. The field lines will radiate symmetrically from the surface of the sphere, I think straight through a, but stop at b as this is earthed. In the diagrams I have place the centre of the sphere on the axis of the cylinder.

I'm less sure on the induced charges, or even quite what the question wants.

The charge on the sphere will be Q=V4∏ε0 and σs0 this should induce an equal and opposite charge on the inner surface of a, that is over the total length of the wire, but the charge density will not be uniform down the wire, the greatest charge will be at points in the plane of the centre of the sphere.

the outer surface of a will have the opposite charge again, ie. the charge of the sphere b will zero due to the earth.

the only thought I have has so far for the second part is to use a gaussian sphere with radius a. Again I'm not sure if I am over simplifying the question to assume the field r is only being considered when r fall in the plane of the centre sphere, ie as in the axis perpendicular diagram, in which case the question might be straight forward, but otherwise I can't see how E would be uniform along the whole length of wire.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the charge on the sphere? So then what's the total charge distributed on the inner cylindrical shell? Then, what does Gauss's law tell you about the E field between the inner and outer cylindrical shells?

Related to Charged sphere place within a cylindrical capacitor

1. What is a charged sphere placed within a cylindrical capacitor?

A charged sphere placed within a cylindrical capacitor refers to a scenario where a conducting sphere with a net charge is placed inside a cylindrical capacitor. The capacitor is made up of two parallel conducting plates separated by a distance, and the sphere is placed along the axis of the cylinder.

2. How does the presence of the charged sphere affect the electric field within the cylindrical capacitor?

The presence of the charged sphere will cause a distortion in the electric field within the cylindrical capacitor. The electric field lines will be bent towards the sphere due to the influence of its charge, resulting in a non-uniform electric field.

3. What factors determine the strength of the electric field within the cylindrical capacitor?

The strength of the electric field within the cylindrical capacitor is determined by the charge on the sphere, the distance between the sphere and the plates, and the radius of the sphere. The electric field is stronger when the charge on the sphere is higher, the distance is smaller, and the radius is larger.

4. Is the electric potential within the cylindrical capacitor affected by the presence of the charged sphere?

Yes, the electric potential within the cylindrical capacitor is affected by the presence of the charged sphere. The potential at any point within the capacitor is determined by the charge on the sphere and the distance between the sphere and the point, in addition to the potential of the plates.

5. How does the presence of the charged sphere impact the capacitance of the cylindrical capacitor?

The presence of the charged sphere within the cylindrical capacitor increases its capacitance. This is because the sphere acts as an additional plate, increasing the capacitance of the capacitor. The effect is more significant when the sphere is closer to the plates and has a larger charge.