Calculate Piston Height in Ideal Gas Law Problem | Homework Statement

Your Name]In summary, to find the height of the piston in equilibrium, we can assume that the area of the piston is equal to the area of the cylinder base. Using this assumption, we can substitute the area (A) with πr^2 in the final equation, giving us h = nRT/(mg + P_atm * πr^2). This equation does not have the area variable and can be used as the solution to the problem.
jthekk2

Homework Statement

A vertical cylinder has a piston of mass "m" on top that is free to move without friction. If
there are "n" moles of an ideal gas in the cylinder at absolute temperature "T", what is the
height "h" of the piston above the bottom of the cylinder so that it will be in equilibrium
under its own weight?

Homework Equations

PV=nRT
P=F/A
V=A*h

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked this through summing the forces on the piston and got F_gas - F_atm -mg =0 or P_gas*A - P_atm*A = mg

this gives P_gas = mg/A + P_atm

from here I looked at the Ideal Gas Law Equation,

PV=nRT, solving for V and substitution we get

A*h = nRT/(P_gas)

so h = nRT/(P_gas*A)

plugging in the P_gas I got:

h = nRT/(mg + P_atm*A)

The thing is, the area was not mentioned in the question and I don't believe we're supposed to have area in the final answer (which is in variable form). I know the work I did above is correct, but is there a way to get rid of the A, as I am 90% sure it isn't supposed to be there. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question! Your approach to solving this problem is correct so far. However, I can understand your concern about the area not being mentioned in the question and possibly not being needed in the final answer.

In this case, we can assume that the area of the piston is equal to the area of the cylinder base. This assumption is based on the fact that the piston is said to be "on top" of the cylinder and is free to move without friction. This implies that the piston is in direct contact with the gas inside the cylinder, and therefore must have the same area as the base of the cylinder.

Assuming this, we can substitute A = πr^2 into your final equation, where r is the radius of the cylinder base. This will give us:

h = nRT/(mg + P_atm * πr^2)

This final equation does not have the area (A) variable in it, and therefore can be used as the solution to the problem. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

I would suggest double-checking the given information and problem statement to ensure that there is no missing information or errors. If the problem statement is indeed correct and there is no mention of the area, then the final answer should not contain the variable A.

One way to eliminate the variable A is to use the ideal gas law equation in terms of density rather than pressure. This would give us:

PV = nRT
m/ρ = nRT
ρ = m/(nRT)

where ρ is the density of the gas. We can then substitute this into the equation for the height of the piston:

h = nRT/(mg + P_atm*A)
h = nRT/(mg + P_atm*A) * (nRT/m)
h = nRT/(ρg + P_atm*A)

This eliminates the A variable and gives us the height of the piston in terms of the gas density.

Related to Calculate Piston Height in Ideal Gas Law Problem | Homework Statement

1. What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a fundamental equation in thermodynamics that relates the properties of an ideal gas, such as pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles. It is expressed as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

2. What are the assumptions behind the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law assumes that the gas molecules have no volume, do not interact with each other, and have elastic collisions with each other and the container walls. It also assumes that temperature is directly proportional to the average kinetic energy of the gas molecules.

3. How is the Ideal Gas Law used in real-life situations?

The Ideal Gas Law is used to predict the behavior of gases under different conditions, such as changes in temperature, pressure, or volume. It is also used in industries such as chemistry, physics, and engineering to make calculations and predictions about gas behavior in various processes.

4. What is the significance of the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is significant because it can accurately describe the behavior of many gases under a wide range of conditions. It also provides a simple explanation for the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles in a gas. It is a fundamental equation in thermodynamics and is used in many practical applications.

5. Are there any limitations to the Ideal Gas Law?

Yes, the Ideal Gas Law has limitations. It only applies to ideal gases, which do not exist in reality. Real gases have volume and interact with each other, which can affect their behavior. Additionally, the Ideal Gas Law does not account for phase changes or chemical reactions that may occur in a gas. Other equations, such as the van der Waals equation, must be used to account for these limitations.