Calculate current flowing from one cylinder to another

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the current between two long concentric cylinders of different radii separated by aluminum, when a constant potential difference is applied. The correct method involves finding the resistance of the aluminum tube using integration, considering it as consisting of nested cylinders of differential thickness. The final answer should be in agreement with the textbook's answer.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

Two long concentric cylinders of radii .04 m and .08 m are separated by aluminum. The inner cylinder has a charge per unit length of [itex] \Lambda [/itex] at any time. When the two cylinders are maintained at a constant potential difference of 2 V via an external source, calculate the current from one cylinder to the other if the cylinders are 1 m long

Homework Equations

potential difference = IR
R = pl / A
I = dq/dt
J = I/A
J = neV
E = pJ

The Attempt at a Solution

So my first attempt I used:

potential difference = IR

(2 V ) / (R) = I

(R) = pl / A

length is 1 meter
I took area by pi(r)^2 outside - pi(r)^2 inside, pi(.08)^2 - pi(.04)^2 , .020 - .005 = .015 m^2
p is given in the book, p for aluminum is 2.655x10^-8

plugging in, R = 1.77 x 10^-6

so (2 V) / R = I

(2 V ) / (1.77 x 10^-6) = 1.1 x 10^6

But my answer is way off from my books, with the answer being: 6.8 x 10^8 A

What did I do wrong? I think the lambda at the beginning is a hint and that I might have to use Guass law??My next thought was:

E according to gauss law = (lambda)/(2pi\epsilon0r)

E/p = J

J * A = I

but how am I suppose to get a value for lambda?? sorry that part gets me mixed up :/

Can anyone comment on which method they think is leading me to the right direction? Also something I might be doing wrong??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your method for the calculation of the resistance of the aluminum tube is not correct. The current is flowing laterally, from the inside surface of the tube to its outside surface, not lengthwise down the tube. You'll want to find that resistance using integration -- think of the tube as consisting of nested cylinders of differential thickness.

gneill said:
Your method for the calculation of the resistance of the aluminum tube is not correct. The current is flowing laterally, from the inside surface of the tube to its outside surface, not lengthwise down the tube. You'll want to find that resistance using integration -- think of the tube as consisting of nested cylinders of differential thickness.

Ok this is starting to make sense to me... am I right when I say:

I am using (dR) = d(pl / A)

I am going to be integrating with respect to dr? my integral is going to go from inside radius to big radius?

Since I am taking the Area of the tube part, the inside tubes area is circumfrence * length right?

so A = 2pi(r_inside) * length of the cylinders (L)

but I'm confused on the top part.

Since l is not the length of the cylinders, but instead its coming from the surface of the inside cylinder to the surface of the outside one.

So if I replaced this with r, considering that I have A = 2pi(r_inside) * length of the cylinders (L) on the bottom, the r's would cancel and I would be left with dr?

so [itex] R = (p/2piL) \int_{r_in}^{r_out} dr [/itex]

is that my integral?

Last edited:
Or maybe because I know that .08 m - .04 m = .04 m, I can substitute that for l, pull p and l out, a = 2 pi r l, so I pull out pl/2pi(l)that way I'm just integrating dr/r, which is ln(x) = ln(outside/inside radius)

Ok, ignore that top post.

I have R = pL / A

so I must integrate

p dr / 2pirL

p/2piL integral dr/r from .04 to .08

p/2piL ln(.08/.04) = R

wow guys.

After subbing that value of R into I = RV, i finally got the same answer as my textbook.

I can't believe I made the integration right :DD thanks as usual Gniel your a gangsta bro

Likes gneill

Related to Calculate current flowing from one cylinder to another

1. How is current calculated between two cylinders?

The current flowing from one cylinder to another can be calculated by using Ohm's Law, which states that current equals the voltage difference between the two cylinders divided by the resistance of the path between them. This can be represented by the equation I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance.

2. What is the unit of measure for current?

The unit of measure for current is the ampere (A), which is defined as the flow of one coulomb of charge per second.

3. How does the distance between the cylinders affect the current?

The distance between the cylinders can affect the current by changing the resistance of the path between them. As the distance increases, the resistance also increases, resulting in a decrease in current flow. This relationship can be represented by the equation R = ρl/A, where R is the resistance, ρ is the resistivity of the material, l is the length of the path, and A is the cross-sectional area of the path.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect current flow between the cylinders?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect current flow between the cylinders. These include the material and diameter of the cylinders, the temperature of the material, and the presence of any external electric or magnetic fields. These factors can alter the resistance of the path and therefore affect the current flow.

5. How can the current between the cylinders be measured?

The current between the cylinders can be measured using an ammeter, which is a device that measures the flow of electric current. The ammeter is connected in series with the path between the cylinders and will display the current flowing through it. It is important to ensure that the ammeter has a high enough resistance to not significantly affect the current being measured.