Calculate a vector potential of a simple loop

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the vector potential of a loop with current and radius, using an approximation for when r is much larger than a. The attempted solution includes defining a new angle and starting the integration at that angle, leading to the correct result. The mistake was in assuming that two angles were equal.
skrat

Homework Statement

Calculate the vector potential of a loop with current ##I##, raidus ##a##. Calculate it for anywhere in space and use approximation where ##r>>a##.

Homework Equations

##\vec A=\frac{\mu _0I}{4\pi }\oint\frac{d\vec l}{|\vec r-\vec{r(l)}|}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, let's put the origin of my coordinate system in the centre of the loop and let the loop be in xy plane.
than $$d\vec l=dl(-\sin \varphi , \cos \varphi , 0)$$ $$\vec r=r(\sin \vartheta \cos \varphi, \sin \vartheta \sin \varphi , \cos \vartheta)$$ and $$\vec{r(l)}=a(\cos \varphi , \sin \varphi,0)$$.

BUT this is all a complete nonsense because:
$$|\vec r - \vec{r(l)}|=\sqrt{r^2+a^2-2ar\sin \vartheta}$$ and therefore the integral $$\vec A=\frac{\mu _0I}{4\pi }\oint \frac{dl(-\sin \varphi , \cos \varphi , 0)}{\sqrt{r^2+a^2-2ar\sin \vartheta}}$$ considering only cases when ##r>>a## gives me $$\vec A=\frac{\mu _0I}{4\pi r}\oint dl(-\sin \varphi , \cos \varphi , 0)(1+\frac a r \sin \vartheta)$$ but for ##dl=ad\varphi## both integrals are ##0##.

Ammm, what am I doing wrong here? :/

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm,

Ok, nevermind. I couldn't sleep last night when it suddenly hit me... This $$\vec r=r(\sin \vartheta \cos \varphi, \sin \vartheta \sin \varphi , \cos \vartheta)$$ is wrong. I should define a new angle ##\alpha ## therefore $$\vec r=r(\sin \vartheta \cos \alpha , \sin \vartheta \sin \alpha, \cos \vartheta)$$
This seriously complicates things until you realize that it doesn't matter where your integration starts. You can easily start it at ##\alpha ## which sets ##\alpha =0## and this simplifies the problem a lot!

I was able to get the right result. So the problem was only that I said that ##\varphi =\alpha ## which is obviously not the case! :))

Related to Calculate a vector potential of a simple loop

1. How do I calculate a vector potential of a simple loop?

The vector potential of a simple loop can be calculated using the formula A = (μ0/4π)∫(I x r)/r^3 dτ, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the loop, and r is the distance between the point of interest and the element dτ.

2. What is the purpose of calculating a vector potential of a simple loop?

The vector potential of a simple loop is used to describe the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying loop in three-dimensional space. It helps in understanding the behavior and properties of magnetic fields.

3. Can I use a different formula to calculate the vector potential of a simple loop?

Yes, there are other formulas that can be used to calculate the vector potential of a simple loop, such as A = (μ0/4π)∫(I x r)/r^2 dτ or A = (μ0/4π)∫(I x r)/|r| dτ. However, the first formula mentioned in question 1 is the most commonly used one.

4. What is the unit of measurement for vector potential?

The unit of measurement for vector potential is ampere-meter (A·m) in the SI system. In the CGS system, it is measured in units of gauss-centimeter (G·cm).

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the vector potential of a simple loop?

One limitation is that the formula used to calculate the vector potential assumes that the loop is infinitely thin. Additionally, the calculation may become more complex for more complex loop configurations.