Calc III and Physics II online, over the summer?

In summary, if you want to be a physics minor or a physics major, you should take Physics II over the summer.
Null_
I'm starting to think about next semester's schedule, and it looks if I won't be able to take Physics II b/c I retook calc I (had AP credit but didn't use it). Calc II is a Pre-req for Physics II.

I really want to be a physics minor, or even double major. If I took Physics II over the summer, I could easily be in line for both an engineering major and a physics major.

How bad of an idea is it to take Physics II online over the summer? I live about 2 hours away from my university, and my local community college is horrible, so I see this as the only option. What about Calc III? If I do take both, should I take 1 for each semester or take both at the same time? (Summer term is divided into 2 semesters.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics 2 online over the summer sounds like a form of torture banned by the Geneva Convention to me. Physics 2 was hard enough for me in person spread out over an entire fall semester.

I also wonder if you'll be missing out on valuable lab experience (assuming there is no lab in an online class.)

For example, setting up a Thomson Tube e/m experiment in by intermediate lab physics class required a little knowledge of circuits. For example, knowing how to use an ammeter, knowing it needs to be in series, and other such things.

It's useful to get that experience in Physics 2.

Calc III is the easier of the 3, and Physics II is E&M I am assuming in your case. If you like playing around with batteries and electricity, then it shouldn't be difficult but fun. How would you do the lab though, since that is the most important part?

Physics II is the E&M I course. I believe that my we purchase a lab kit and do the labs ourselves.

I think I do want to get the in-class experience of Physics though, and will probably do Calc III online...especially since it's the easiest to get help from other people (such as this forum), and most of my friends will have already taken it.

I understand your desire to complete both a physics minor and potentially a double major in engineering and physics. However, I would caution against taking Calc III and Physics II online over the summer. Both of these courses are challenging and require a strong foundation in previous math and physics concepts. Taking them online, especially in a condensed summer semester, may not provide you with the necessary support and resources to fully understand the material.

Additionally, online courses may not have the same level of rigor and hands-on experience as in-person courses, which are important for understanding and applying concepts in physics. It may be more beneficial to take these courses in person during the regular academic year, where you can have access to professors and peers for assistance and engage in laboratory work.

If taking these courses online is your only option due to your location, I would recommend starting with one course at a time to ensure that you can manage the workload and fully understand the material. Taking both courses simultaneously may be overwhelming and could potentially harm your academic progress. It may also be helpful to reach out to your university and see if they offer any resources or support for online courses to help you succeed.

In summary, while it is understandable that you want to complete these courses over the summer to stay on track with your academic goals, it may not be the best idea to take them online. Consider speaking with your academic advisor and exploring other options, such as taking the courses during the regular academic year or finding a community college with a better reputation for these courses. Remember that your education is a long-term investment, and it is important to prioritize understanding and mastery of the material rather than rushing through it.

Related to Calc III and Physics II online, over the summer?

1. What is the workload like for taking Calc III and Physics II online over the summer?

The workload for online summer courses can vary, but in general, it is more intensive and condensed compared to regular semester courses. You will likely have to cover the same amount of material in a shorter period of time, so it is important to stay organized and manage your time effectively.

2. Can I expect the same level of instruction and support for online summer courses?

Yes, online summer courses are taught by the same instructors who teach the courses during the regular semester. They will provide the same level of instruction and support, but it may be delivered through different methods such as online lectures, discussion boards, and virtual office hours.

3. Are there any prerequisites or recommended preparation for taking Calc III and Physics II online over the summer?

It is recommended that you have a strong understanding of the material covered in Calc II and Physics I before taking Calc III and Physics II online over the summer. It is also helpful to have good time management skills and a strong foundation in math and physics.

4. How will exams and assignments be administered for online summer courses?

Exams for online summer courses may be proctored through a virtual platform or through an approved testing center. Assignments may be submitted electronically through the course website or email. It is important to carefully read the course syllabus and instructions for each assignment.

5. Can I transfer credits from online summer courses to my home institution?

It depends on your home institution's policies and the accreditation of the online summer courses. It is best to check with your academic advisor or registrar before enrolling in online summer courses to ensure that the credits will transfer.