Buckling in various planes, finding moment of inertia

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties in determining the values of Ix and Iy from visual inspection, as well as confusion regarding the concept of buckling in a plane and effective length. The expert explains that for a rectangular cross section, bending will occur with respect to the dimension with the smaller value of I/A. In the sample problem, the base of the column is assumed to be fixed and the effective length is 0.7 times the distance between the base and the top plates. In problem 10.25, the bracing bars constrain the column to buckle in a particular direction, resulting in different effective lengths for the x and y axes. The expert also notes that the desired axis of buckling is the one with the minimum
member 392791

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

With this problem and in general, I am having difficulties knowing what should be the cubic and what shouldn't be from visual inspection, so in this case I can't tell why I_x is 1/12ba^3, as opposed to 1/12ab^3. How can I tell from looking at this which one is right? Also, the same goes for I_y, is it just the opposite with the b cubed?The solution is also saying Iz = Ix...what??

When it says buckling in the xy plane or xz plane, I am wondering, does that mean the column bulges out normal to the plane, or does it bulge out in the same direction as the plane? Does being braced in a plane imply that its fixed, or does it mean its pinned?Honestly, I am wondering why its not Ix = 1/12aL^3...it looks like L is the height and a is the base with regards to the x-axis.A similar idea with problem 10.25. I don't understand why K is 1 in the xz-plane, but 2 in the yz-plane for the effective length. If what I'm thinking is right about how buckling in a plane is in the direction of the plane where the buckling occurs, not normal to it, then for the yz-plane the bar going through the middle impedes the ability to buckle in the y direction, so I guess that end is fixed, but for K=2 that means one end is fixed and one end is free to move, and I don't see which end is free to move here.

Attachments

• sample problem.pdf
    84.6 KB · Views: 494
  • 10.25.pdf
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,356
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For buckling in general, the column is going to deflect about the axis which produces the minimum gyradius. Since the gyradius r = SQRT (I/A), this means you want to find the axes about which I is a minimum value. For a rectangular cross section, bending will occur with respect to whichever dimension, the width or the height (thickness) of the cross section is less.

In the sample problem, the base of the column is assumed to be fixed. The plates at the top do not allow a deflection to develop there, but the column may still rotate, which is why the effective length of the column is 0.7 times the distance between the base and the location of the plates.

In Prob. 10.25, the bracing bars are placed such that no deflection along the x-axis can develop; the column is constrained to buckle in the other direction, with rotation occurring about the x-axis. Due to the geometry of the bracing, the effective lengths differ as shown in the small diagrams in the solution. Since you are trying to determine the dimensions of the cross section, you must investigate buckling about each possible axis.

member 392791 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

With this problem and in general, I am having difficulties knowing what should be the cubic and what shouldn't be from visual inspection, so in this case I can't tell why I_x is 1/12ba^3, as opposed to 1/12ab^3. How can I tell from looking at this which one is right? Also, the same goes for I_y, is it just the opposite with the b cubed?The solution is also saying Iz = Ix...what??

When it says buckling in the xy plane or xz plane, I am wondering, does that mean the column bulges out normal to the plane, or does it bulge out in the same direction as the plane? Does being braced in a plane imply that its fixed, or does it mean its pinned?Honestly, I am wondering why its not Ix = 1/12aL^3...it looks like L is the height and a is the base with regards to the x-axis.A similar idea with problem 10.25. I don't understand why K is 1 in the xz-plane, but 2 in the yz-plane for the effective length. If what I'm thinking is right about how buckling in a plane is in the direction of the plane where the buckling occurs, not normal to it, then for the yz-plane the bar going through the middle impedes the ability to buckle in the y direction, so I guess that end is fixed, but for K=2 that means one end is fixed and one end is free to move, and I don't see which end is free to move here.
Your issue was exactly the same as mine, down to the sample problem in questions. I made an account just to respond, I believe it is due to the N.A. with respect to the bending. For instance, if buckling in the XZ plane, the cross section bends about the Y axis. Making the Y axis the N.A. If you were to re-orient this cross section such that the Y axis is horizontal, I think you would then understand. Cheers (11 years later)

Related to Buckling in various planes, finding moment of inertia

1. What is buckling and why is it important in engineering?

Buckling is the sudden failure of a structural element due to compressive stress. It is important in engineering because it can result in catastrophic collapse of buildings and other structures.

2. What are the different planes in which buckling can occur?

Buckling can occur in different planes, including the X-axis, Y-axis, and Z-axis. It can also occur in multiple planes simultaneously.

3. How is the moment of inertia related to buckling?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. In the context of buckling, it is related to the stiffness of a structural element and its ability to resist compressive stress.

4. How do you calculate the moment of inertia for a specific shape?

The moment of inertia for a specific shape can be calculated using the formula I = ∫r²dm, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation and dm is the differential mass element. This integral can be evaluated using known equations for the mass distribution of the shape.

5. How can buckling be prevented or mitigated?

Buckling can be prevented or mitigated by using appropriate structural design and materials, such as adding diagonal bracing or using stronger materials. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain structures to ensure they can withstand compressive stress.