Bs math + ms ee vs (bs + ms) ee?

• Thread starter 1230wc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee
In summary, the person is a sophomore but is almost a year ahead. They have two options: 1) to pursue a BS in Math and a MS in Coterm EE, which will take two more years and is already covered by their undergrad financial aid, or 2) to pursue a BS and Coterm MS in EE, which requires almost a year more of classes than Math and will take three more years, with no undergrad financial aid for the final year. The first option takes less time and money, but the person is concerned about not having an ABET-accredited BS in EE and how it may affect their chances for a PhD in EE or government jobs. It may only be an issue if they are applying for jobs that
1230wc
im a sophomore but almost a yr ahead. I've 2 options:

1) bs math + ms coterm ee (signals or controls)
- already close to a bs math
- takes 2 more yrs so gets covered by my undergrad finaid.

2) (bs + coterm ms) ee
- bs ee requires almost a yr more of classes than math
- takes 3 more yrs, no undergrad finaid for final yr

1) takes less time and money but will i lose out on anything by not having a ABET bs ee? will i get hurt applying to ee phd or seeking gov jobs (accredition issues)?

thanks all :)

Physics news on Phys.org
1230wc said:
takes less time and money but will i lose out on anything by not having a ABET bs ee? will i get hurt applying to ee phd or seeking gov jobs (accredition issues)?
Only if you go for jobs that want to see it/want you to become a PE. This may be an issue for some government infrastructure jobs, I don't know. Go to their jobsites and see what they require for job applicants.

Related to Bs math + ms ee vs (bs + ms) ee?

1. What is the difference between a BS in Math and MS in EE vs a BS and MS in EE?

The main difference is that a BS in Math and MS in EE combination focuses on the intersection of mathematics and electrical engineering, while a BS and MS in EE combination focuses solely on electrical engineering.

2. Which option is better for someone interested in pursuing a career in research?

Both options can lead to a career in research, but a BS and MS in EE may be more specialized and provide a deeper understanding of electrical engineering concepts, while a BS in Math and MS in EE may provide a broader understanding of mathematical principles that can be applied to research in various fields.

3. Are there any specific job opportunities that a BS in Math and MS in EE combination would be better suited for?

A BS in Math and MS in EE combination can lead to job opportunities in fields such as signal processing, control systems, and telecommunications, which require a strong background in both mathematics and electrical engineering.

4. Can I pursue a career in industry with both combinations?

Yes, both combinations can lead to careers in industry. A BS and MS in EE may be more common for industry positions, but a BS in Math and MS in EE combination can also be valuable as it provides a diverse skill set that can be applied to various industries.

5. How long does it typically take to complete each combination?

The duration of each combination may vary depending on the specific program and the student's course load. However, a BS in Math and MS in EE combination may take longer to complete as it requires coursework in both mathematics and electrical engineering, while a BS and MS in EE combination may only focus on electrical engineering courses.