Books on optimization problems

In summary, the conversation mentions a search for (elementary) books on optimization problems, specifically the convex optimization problem. It is suggested to refer to the Wikipedia page for an overview, and to check lecture notes and the book "Convex Optimization" by Boyd and Vandenberghe for more in-depth material. The book "Linear Programming and Network Flows" by Bazaraa, Jarvis, and Sherali is also recommended, as well as "Operations Research" by H.A. Taha.
maNoFchangE
I am in search of (elementary) books which contains subject on the optimization problem. I'm not an electrical engineering student though so I don't know if that subject is typically taught in undergrad or grad level. But in case there is undergrad book that meets that condition, I would prefer such. What I'm interested in is particularly the convex optimization problem, among the three main optimization problems as far as I know.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The canonical book on convex optimization is Convex Optimization by Boyd and Vandenberghe, downloadable for free. Boyd also has http://stanford.edu/class/ee364a/videos.html and slides from his Stanford class, which follows the book. It's a graduate-level book and class.

Linear Programming and Network Flows by Bazaraa, Jarvis, and Sherali is a nice book.

Other than that, you can try Operations Research by H.A. Taha.

Related to Books on optimization problems

1. What are optimization problems?

Optimization problems refer to a class of mathematical problems in which the goal is to find the best possible solution, typically defined as the maximum or minimum of a given objective function, while satisfying a set of constraints.

2. How are optimization problems used in real-world applications?

Optimization problems are used in a wide range of real-world applications, including engineering, finance, economics, computer science, and many others. They can help in decision-making processes and improve efficiency and effectiveness in various industries.

3. What are some common types of optimization problems?

Some common types of optimization problems include linear programming, nonlinear programming, integer programming, and multi-objective optimization. Each type has its own characteristics and methods for solving.

4. How can books on optimization problems help in understanding and solving these problems?

Books on optimization problems can provide a comprehensive overview of the different types of problems, their applications, and various solution techniques. They also often include examples, case studies, and exercises to improve understanding and problem-solving skills.

5. Are there any recommended books on optimization problems for beginners?

Yes, there are many recommended books for beginners on optimization problems, such as "Introduction to Linear Optimization" by Dimitris Alevras and "Nonlinear Programming: Theory and Algorithms" by Mokhtar S. Bazaraa. It is also helpful to consult with a professor or expert in the field for personalized recommendations.