Books for the study of General Relativity

In summary: It covers everything in a very clear way.In summary, when starting a thesis on gravitational waves, it is recommended to have a strong understanding of General Relativity. Some suggested books for reference include Introduction to Einstein's General Relativity by D'Inverno, Gravitation by Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler, and An introductory course in General Relativity by Shutz B.F. MTW's Gravitation is also a comprehensive option, but it may be more challenging for beginners. For a book specifically on gravitational waves, Gravitational Waves: Volume 1: Theory and Experiments by Michele Maggiore is highly recommended. Overall, it is important to find a book with a strong physical approach and to avoid getting
Casco
I am about to start my thesis and I have, let's say, just an introductory course of General Relativity as background and I would like to know which would be a good book as a reference so that I can get a stronger knowledge of General Relativity.

All this taking into account that I will do my thesis on gravitational waves. Some had suggested me books like:

Introduction to Einstein's General Relativity-D'Inverno
Gravitation-Misner,...(I am very tempted to take this my principal reference but I don not know it would be a good idea.)
Gravitation- Weinberg
An introductory course ...- Shutz B.F

Well these are my main options. I am thinking about taking Gravitation-Misner as my first reference and D'Inverno as my second reference. The other ones would be just as complements.

Any advise is accepted, keep in mind that I am just a beginner on G.R.

Physics news on Phys.org
For comprehensiveness, I don't think you can beat MTW.

MTW tries for a very geometric approach to GR while D'Inverno is purely index-based. Every definition in D'Inverno's book is something like "the components of _____ transform as...".

I also hear that because D'Inverno is a mathematician, his writing on physics can be like "nails on the chalkboard" to a physicist. Not that he gets things wrong, but he will make statements like "the (relativistic) mass increases with speed". If you can deal with that, it should be alright, lol.

I suggest using Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler (1973) as your first reference. It is the most comprehensive I've ever seen. As for a book specifically concerning gravitational waves, I suggest a more recent book. Sorry, can't recommend one.

I'm rather partial to MTW's Gravitation, and for a completely different style I'd suggest Wald, which is considerably more terse.

Schutz I don't really care for much, your mileage may vary.

Matterwave said:
For comprehensiveness, I don't think you can beat MTW.

MTW tries for a very geometric approach to GR while D'Inverno is purely index-based. Every definition in D'Inverno's book is something like "the components of _____ transform as...".

I also hear that because D'Inverno is a mathematician, his writing on physics can be like "nails on the chalkboard" to a physicist. Not that he gets things wrong, but he will make statements like "the (relativistic) mass increases with speed". If you can deal with that, it should be alright, lol.

So, Which would you recommend for a good understanding? What I am looking for is a book with a very strong physical background. Any suggestion for a book with a very strong physical approach??

Bobbywhy said:
I suggest using Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler (1973) as your first reference. It is the most comprehensive I've ever seen. As for a book specifically concerning gravitational waves, I suggest a more recent book. Sorry, can't recommend one.

Could it be comprehensive for a graduated beginner(Like me)?? Or, Should I go to something more modest?

Casco said:
Could it be comprehensive for a graduated beginner(Like me)?? Or, Should I go to something more modest?

If you have a strong Physics background, I'd start with Sean Carroll's Spacetime and Geometry. MTW is just too unfocused for an introduction.

There are, just like for QM and QFT, extremely many books from which to choose. I can say that for the beginning, just to get to the physics behing GR and not overshadow the arguments with tons of tensors and integrals, pick the 2nd volume of Landau and Lifschitz text <Classical field theory>. It won't get you abruptly into the mathematics, for sure. Then, if you need rigor and a wider range of subjects treated, go to R.Wald's book.

And for the part of gravitational radiation which would be the best reference??

Casco said:
And for the part of gravitational radiation which would be the best reference??

Gravitational Waves: Volume 1: Theory and Experiments by Michele Maggiore,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0198570740/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

Use the LOOK INSIDE feature to look at the table of contents.

Related to Books for the study of General Relativity

1. What is General Relativity?

General Relativity is a theory of gravitation developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It explains the force of gravity as a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of massive objects.

2. What are some good books for studying General Relativity?

Some popular books for studying General Relativity include "A First Course in General Relativity" by Bernard Schutz, "General Relativity: An Introduction for Physicists" by M.P. Hobson, G.P. Efstathiou, and A.N. Lasenby, and "Gravitation" by Charles W. Misner, Kip S. Thorne, and John Archibald Wheeler.

3. Do I need a strong background in physics to understand General Relativity?

Yes, a strong background in physics, particularly in classical mechanics and electromagnetism, is necessary to fully understand General Relativity. It is recommended to have a solid understanding of calculus and differential equations as well.

4. Are there any online resources for studying General Relativity?

Yes, there are many online resources for studying General Relativity, including lecture notes, video lectures, and interactive simulations. Some popular websites include MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and The Einstein Online.

5. Is studying General Relativity important for modern science?

Absolutely. General Relativity is a fundamental theory in physics and has had a major impact on our understanding of the universe. It is essential for studying topics such as black holes, the Big Bang, and the structure of the universe.