Book on quantum electrodynamics

In summary, several books were recommended for beginners in quantum electrodynamics. These include "Student Friendly Quantum Field Theory" by Robert Klauber, "Quantum Field Theory for Gifted Amateur" by Stephen Blundell and Tom Lancaster, and "Quantum field theory and the Standard Model" by M.D. Schwartz. The book "Introduction to Quantum Effects in Gravity" by Mukhanov and Winitzki was also recommended, although it may be more advanced. The suggested combination of books for beginners is Lancaster and Blundell, followed by Schwartz and Mukhanov and Winitzki, with a main focus on Schwartz and Hatfield's "Quantum Field Theory of Point Particles and Strings."
Shubham135
Can anyone suggest me a book on quantum electrodynamics for beginners? Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The most elementary QED textbook I have ever seen is "Student Friendly Quantum Field Theory" by Robert Klauber. I don't think it can get easier than that.
A good introductory book, is "Quantum Field Theory for Gifted Amateur" by Stephen Blundell and Tom Lancaster.

My favorite as an introduction is

Schwartz, M. D.: Quantum field theory and the Standard Model, Cambridge University Press, 2014

I plan to write a relatively short book draft on QED, but it won't be for beginners. The recommendations above are good, as long as "beginner" means that you've taken QM at a decent level.

Likes vanhees71
I also recommend the excellent book "Introduction to Quantum Effects in Gravity" by Mukhanov and Winitzki. At first one may think this is about QFT in curved spacetime and so isn't proper for someone who's just starting to learn QFT but that's not the case!
IMHO, an ideal combination is:
Lancaster and Blundell --> Schwartz+Mukhanov and Winitzki(with the main focus being Schwartz) --> Hatfield (Quantum Field Theory of Point Particles and Strings)
Of course you don't have to read all the above books cover to cover, but only Schwartz and Hatfield!

Related to Book on quantum electrodynamics

What is quantum electrodynamics?

Quantum electrodynamics is a branch of physics that studies the interactions between electrically charged particles using the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity.

What is the significance of quantum electrodynamics?

Quantum electrodynamics is important because it provides a theoretical framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic interactions at the subatomic level. It has successfully explained and predicted many phenomena, such as the behavior of atoms and molecules, and is also a crucial component of modern technologies such as transistors and lasers.

Who developed the theory of quantum electrodynamics?

The theory of quantum electrodynamics was developed by a team of scientists including Richard Feynman, Julian Schwinger, and Sin-Itiro Tomonaga in the 1940s. Their work earned them the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1965.

What are the key principles of quantum electrodynamics?

Quantum electrodynamics is based on several key principles, including the idea that particles can behave as both particles and waves, the concept of quantized energy levels, and the use of mathematical equations to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions.

How is quantum electrodynamics related to other branches of physics?

Quantum electrodynamics is closely related to other branches of physics, such as quantum mechanics, special relativity, and classical electromagnetism. It combines these theories to provide a more complete understanding of the behavior of particles and their interactions with electromagnetic fields.