Birthday List: Investigating Member Birthdays on Physics Forums

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the number of member birthdays listed on a forum with over 32,000 members. It is noted that only a few birthdays are typically listed per day, despite the large number of members. It is speculated that some members may choose to keep their birthdate private, while others may have inactive accounts or inaccurate information. The conversation also mentions the calculation of an average number of birthdays per day and the possibility of multiple members sharing the same birthday.
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is just something I've been curious about for a while, and today, my curiosity peaked.

We have around 32,000 members here, so you'd expect, on average, nearly a hundred member birthdays everyday. Yet, I've noticed no more than two or three birthdays listed on most days. I'd imagined that only the members that were new or active would make the list, but today's birthday member registered in 2004, and has 0 total posts.

https://www.physicsforums.com/member.php?u=16931

What's the deal with this ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gokul43201 said:
This is just something I've been curious about for a while, and today, my curiosity peaked.

We have around 32,000 members here, so you'd expect, on average, nearly a hundred member birthdays everyday. Yet, I've noticed no more than two or three birthdays listed on most days. I'd imagined that only the members that were new or active would make the list, but today's birthday member registered in 2004, and has 0 total posts.

https://www.physicsforums.com/member.php?u=16931

What's the deal with this ?
I sometimes wonder that too. I do know that if you set your UserCP preferences to not display your birthdate, you won't show up on the birthday list, so there are probably a lot of members who opt to keep that information private. But, if you look at the calendar, sometimes birthdays show up on that but aren't shown on the front page birthday list. Those are the ones I really don't understand. I don't see much need to have people who have been inactive for over a year still showing up on the birthday list, though sorting them out might be more hassle than it's worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well let's do some math here...
there are 32,427 and the 365 days in a year.But there are leap years in every years so that means an average year is 365.25 days are year.
[tex] 88.8 =\frac{32427}{365} [/tex]
so there should be an average of 88.8 members birthday a day.But that isn't entirlery ture because on some days there more eople being born then others.Look at the calander.
You should read this article
http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=402

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
I do know that if you set your UserCP preferences to not display your birthdate, you won't show up on the birthday list, so there are probably a lot of members who opt to keep that information private.
Of course ! I bet that's what it is.

But, if you look at the calendar, sometimes birthdays show up on that but aren't shown on the front page birthday list. Those are the ones I really don't understand.
Hmmm...just when I thought the mystery was completely solved.

Birthdays are only advertised if it's an active member. An active member is someone who has logged in within the past two months of the current date.

Moonie said:
I do know that if you set your UserCP preferences to not display your birthdate, you won't show up on the birthday list, so there are probably a lot of members who opt to keep that information private.
Is it mandatory to enter your birthday? I'd imagine that far more people just don't enter the information.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Is it mandatory to enter your birthday? I'd imagine that far more people just don't enter the information.
I don't remember. It might not be. There are enough people who seem to be the epitomy of youthful good health at 100 years old, or quite mature and eloquent for a 2 year old, that even if it's required, they aren't all bothering to put in accurate information.

The month and day are all that's needed.

How many people are there using the same birthday ?

Several people used January 1st. Sneaky little hobbitses.

Related to Birthday List: Investigating Member Birthdays on Physics Forums

1. What is the purpose of the "Birthday List" investigation on Physics Forums?

The purpose of the "Birthday List" investigation is to analyze and gather data on the distribution of member birthdays on the Physics Forums platform. This can provide insights into the demographics and community engagement on the forum.

2. How was the data for the "Birthday List" investigation collected?

The data was collected through a voluntary survey where members could input their birthdate, along with their username and other optional information. The survey was open to all members of the Physics Forums community.

3. Can the results of the "Birthday List" investigation be generalized to the entire Physics Forums community?

No, the results cannot be generalized to the entire Physics Forums community as the data is based on a voluntary survey and may not represent the entire population of members on the forum.

4. What were some interesting findings from the "Birthday List" investigation?

Some interesting findings from the investigation include a higher proportion of member birthdays in the first half of the year, a slightly higher percentage of male members compared to female members, and a majority of members falling into the millennial age range.

5. How can the results of the "Birthday List" investigation be useful?

The results of the investigation can be useful in understanding the demographics and community engagement on Physics Forums. It can also provide insights for future research and discussions on the forum related to age, gender, and other factors.