Biot-Savart's Law for cylindrical conductor

In summary, The figure shows a cross section across a diameter of a long cylindrical conductor of radius a = 2.92 cm carrying uniform current 151 A. Using Biot-Savart's Law and symmetry, the magnetic field at the central axis of the conductor is 0.0032 T. However, at a radial distance of 1 cm, Ampere's Law should be used, taking into account the current per area and resulting in a magnetic field of 0.0010 T at the surface of the conductor.
Sho Kano

Homework Statement

The figure shows a cross section across a diameter of a long cylindrical conductor of radius a = 2.92 cm carrying uniform current 151 A. What is the magnitude of the current's magnetic field at the center of the conductor?
HW9Q8.png

Homework Equations

Biot-Savart's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

B for circular loop = ui/2r
B = ui/2a
B = 0.0032 T
Which is the wrong answer, what happened?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sho Kano said:
B for circular loop = ui/2r
This formula is for the magnetic field at the center of a circular loop of current. But in your problem the current is not flowing in a circular loop. It is flowing in a long, straight, cylindrical conductor.

TSny said:
This formula is for the magnetic field at the center of a circular loop of current. But in your problem the current is not flowing in a circular loop. It is flowing in a long, straight, cylindrical conductor.
Is this still do-able with the Biot Savart law?

Yes, you can easily find B at the central axis by using the Biot-Savart law and symmetry.

However, if you want to find B for an arbitrary value of r in the picture, then it would be easier to use another law.

TSny said:
Yes, you can easily find B at the central axis by using the Biot-Savart law and symmetry.

However, if you want to find B for an arbitrary value of r in the picture, then it would be easier to use another law.
In this case, I think the current is flowing through the center. Then that means there is no field at the center right?

Sho Kano said:
In this case, I think the current is flowing through the center. Then that means there is no field at the center right?
I'm not understanding this argument. Can you elaborate? The current is flowing at all points of the cylinder, not just along the central axis.

TSny said:
I'm not understanding this argument. Can you elaborate? The current is flowing at all points of the cylinder, not just along the central axis.
My bad, then can you show me how to do this problem? We have only learned so far the law for wires.

The problem only asks for the B field at the center axis of the cylinder. For this, you can just use symmetry arguments. Think of the total current distribution as made up of a lot of long, parallel, straight filaments of current. Each filament is like a thin, straight wire carrying current. Use what you know about the direction of the B field due to a long, straight wire.

TSny said:
The problem only asks for the B field at the center axis of the cylinder. For this, you can just use symmetry arguments. Think of the total current distribution as made up of a lot of long, parallel, straight filaments of current. Each filament is like a thin, straight wire carrying current. Use what you know about the direction of the B field due to a long, straight wire.
For parallel wires carrying the same current, there will be no net magnetic field at a point between them. So can I generalize this to the situation here?

Yes. Good.

TSny said:
Yes. Good.
Now the problem asks for the field at radial distance 1 cm. How can I use symmetry for this?

Now you need to do some math! The law of choice would be Ampere's law, not the Biot-Savart law. Symmetry will still be important.

TSny said:
Now you need to do some math! The law of choice would be Ampere's law, not the Biot-Savart law. Symmetry will still be important.
Edit: I will come back to this

Last edited:
TSny said:
Just watched a quickie on Ampere's Law. So I'm getting this:
ui = ∫B⋅dl
ui = B∫dl from 0 to 2πr
ui/2πr = B = 0.0030 T

Edit: I'm missing a current ratio?

Current per Area = 151 / (.0292^2 * pi) = 5.637 x 10^4 A/m^2
Current for Area of 1 cm radius = 5.637 x 10^4 A/m^2 * pi(.01^2)
= 3.141592653589794e-04

Use this for ampere's law gets:
3.5420e-04 T

Looks good.

TSny said:
Looks good.
Now at, the wire's surface, It encloses the total current, at the radius of the wire. From the Ampere's Law, I get 0.0010T which is the wrong answer?

Sho Kano said:
I get 0.0010T
I think that's the right answer. (Unless you need to get the number of significant figures correct also.)

TSny said:
I think that's the right answer. (Unless you need to get the number of significant figures correct also.)
I was marked wrong, I'll get back after asking the professor

Related to Biot-Savart's Law for cylindrical conductor

1. What is Biot-Savart's Law for cylindrical conductors?

Biot-Savart's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying cylindrical conductor. It states that the magnetic field at any point in space is directly proportional to the current flowing through the conductor, the distance from the conductor, and the length of the conductor.

2. How does Biot-Savart's Law apply to cylindrical conductors?

Biot-Savart's Law applies to cylindrical conductors by providing a mathematical equation to calculate the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying cylindrical conductor. This law is essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of magnetic fields in various electrical devices such as motors, generators, and transformers.

3. What is the formula for Biot-Savart's Law for cylindrical conductors?

The formula for Biot-Savart's Law for cylindrical conductors is B = (μI/2πr) * ln(L/r), where B is the magnetic field, μ is the permeability of the medium, I is the current, r is the distance from the conductor, and L is the length of the conductor.

4. How does Biot-Savart's Law for cylindrical conductors differ from other electromagnetic laws?

Biot-Savart's Law for cylindrical conductors is unique in that it specifically applies to the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying cylindrical conductor. Other electromagnetic laws, such as Coulomb's Law and Ampere's Law, deal with the electric and magnetic fields produced by point charges or straight current-carrying wires, respectively.

5. What are some real-world applications of Biot-Savart's Law for cylindrical conductors?

Biot-Savart's Law for cylindrical conductors is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as designing and analyzing the magnetic fields in motors, transformers, and generators. It is also essential in the field of biomedical engineering, where it is used to study the effects of magnetic fields on the human body and in medical imaging techniques such as MRI machines.