Biophysics REU with no biology background

In summary, the speaker is excited about receiving an REU offer from a university for research in computational biophysics, but is also nervous as they have no background in life sciences. However, others reassure them that they do not need prior knowledge and that the purpose of the internship is to learn and expand their horizons. Collaboration with biologists is common in biophysics and the speaker is encouraged to start reading and asking questions to prepare for the research.
Dishsoap
So here's the thing, I just heard back from a university with an REU offer. I'm super excited and this was definitely my top choice, however the research is in computational biophysics.

Again, I'm definitely excited to learn more about the research, but I'm also terrified. I grew up going to a very religious school, and as a result I have never, not once, taken a course in any sort of life sciences. I'm looking at the research of my mentor, and it looks like Greek to me. The computational part is something I'm comfortable with - I've had some research experience in computational particle physics and a few publications. But biophysics is a whole new world to me.

On a scale from 1 to 10... how in trouble am I?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the REU is anything like the NSERC undergraduate research internships that are offered in Canada, then I don't think you have anything to worry about, since undergraduate students are not expected to know all that much about the research area beforehand. IMHO, I think you should consider the REU as an opportunity to learn and expand your horizons in areas you weren't familiar with.

I agree with StatGuy2000. The point of a research internship for an undergraduate student is to learn about the field - not to know everything about it going in.

In biophysics the physicists usually handle the physics part and they collaborate with biologist to handle the biology part. That said, you should know enough to converse intelligently on the project. So if you're excited about the position - start reading and asking questions.

Most biophysicists have no background in biology when they begin their PhD studies, much less when they do undergraduate research!

Related to Biophysics REU with no biology background

1. What is biophysics?

Biophysics is an interdisciplinary field that combines principles and methods from physics, chemistry, and biology to study biological systems at the molecular, cellular, and organismal levels. It aims to understand biological processes and phenomena through the application of physical and mathematical principles.

2. Do I need a background in biology to participate in a biophysics REU program?

No, a background in biology is not required for a biophysics REU program. However, a strong foundation in physics and mathematics is necessary, as well as an interest in applying these principles to study biological systems.

3. What can I expect to learn in a biophysics REU program without a biology background?

In a biophysics REU program, you can expect to learn about the fundamental principles of biophysics, such as thermodynamics, kinetics, and statistical mechanics, as well as experimental techniques used to study biological systems. You will also have the opportunity to apply these concepts and techniques through hands-on research projects.

4. What types of research projects are available in a biophysics REU program with no biology background?

Research projects in a biophysics REU program can vary, but they typically involve the use of physical and mathematical principles to study biological systems. Examples of projects could include studying the behavior of proteins, the mechanics of cells, or the dynamics of biological networks.

5. Will participating in a biophysics REU program without a biology background limit my future career options?

No, participating in a biophysics REU program without a biology background will not limit your future career options. Biophysics is a diverse field that offers opportunities in research, healthcare, biotechnology, and other industries. Additionally, the skills and knowledge gained from a biophysics REU program can be applied to a variety of other fields and disciplines.