Bioengineering, Biochemist, Molecular Biology & Nanotechnology: Majors & Jobs

• Programs
  • Thread starter Leinad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    biochemist
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between bioengineering, biochemistry, and nanotechnology. The speaker is seeking clarification on sample jobs in these fields and considering a minor in nanotechnology. They also mention the potential for genetic modification in bioengineering and the interdisciplinary nature of nanotechnology. The conversation ends with a recommendation to have a strong background in chemistry and biology for pursuing a career in genome sciences.
Leinad
Hello. I have a few questions as to the differences in some specific fields along with majoring differences. Can you please help me describe some sample jobs, and correct me on my descriptions.

Bioengineering: modifying the genetic structure to give certain characterics to i.e. plants.
Sample job could be working in lab on rice plants to increase the amount of havests in a crop cycle.

Biochemist: Observing the chemical reactions in biological lifeforms, i.e. when a human becomes angry - what type of chemicals are released.
Sample Job: eh... I dunno

Also wanted to find some more about molecular biologists, and about the nanotechnology.

I think it'd be sweet to go into nanotechnology - maybe even a minor would fill me up (would nano help with a bioengineering or something?). Right now bioengineering, from my understanding, looks very appealing. Anyone's take on any of this? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Genetics --> Genome Sciences or a similar name. But it's not uncommon to see a biologist or biochemist doing research relevant to this. "Your major is not your career."

Biochemistry is chemistry as it applies to biology. You seem to more or less have that down. It's a little broader than that, but you've got the rough idea.

Bioengineering is actually not as well-defined yet as it is usually a relatively new program, so you will need to look at the specific curriculum. Generally this involves engineering devices relevant to biological and medical applications, or engineering things like assistive devices or artificial organs.

Nanotechnology is highly interdisciplinary, but tends to incorporate a lot of chemistry and physics. It has plenty of potential applications to a wide array of things, so you will see some people in the fields you're interested in researching it or researching uses of it.

Alright, this is very helpful. We've all seen the discovery channel or whatever it is. So genetic major, or genome sciences is more of alter genetic structures to the example I mentioned earlier?

Discovery channel?

Genome sciences is not usually an undergraduate major. I would hazard, never. You should have a strong background in chemistry (at least through OChem & lab) and biology (at least a year of "for majors" biology requiring chemistry, and probably some topics courses) if that's what you want to pursue.

Related to Bioengineering, Biochemist, Molecular Biology & Nanotechnology: Majors & Jobs

What is bioengineering?

Bioengineering is the application of engineering principles and techniques to solve problems in biology and medicine. It involves the use of engineering tools and techniques to design and develop new medical devices, diagnostic tools, and treatments.

What is biochemistry?

Biochemistry is the study of the chemical processes and substances that occur in living organisms. It involves the analysis and manipulation of biological molecules such as proteins, carbohydrates, and lipids to understand their structures and functions.

What is molecular biology?

Molecular biology is the study of the structure and function of biological molecules, such as DNA, RNA, and proteins, and their interactions within living cells. It involves techniques such as DNA sequencing, cloning, and genetic engineering to investigate the molecular basis of life.

What is nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology is the manipulation of matter on an atomic, molecular, and supramolecular scale. It involves the development and use of materials and devices at the nanoscale (1-100 nanometers) for various applications in fields such as medicine, electronics, and energy.

What are the potential career opportunities in these fields?

Graduates with majors in bioengineering, biochemistry, molecular biology, and nanotechnology can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and research institutions. Some popular job titles include biomedical engineer, biochemist, geneticist, and nanotechnologist.