Best way to study physics on my own?

In summary, this course is all calculus-based and is apparently one of the more difficult courses in the school. It is worth taking, but you may want to also consider taking AP Calculus AB if you do not have a strong background in calculus.
awaizy
I'm currently in 11th grade and will be taking "Honors Physics" next year and I want to study up before I take the course. The course description is as follows:

This first year course provides a systematic introduction to the main principles of physics and emphasizesproblem-solving skills. Major topics to be explored include: kinematics (rectilinear, circular, projectile motions), dynamics of motion, energy, space physics, wave theory (sound, light). The course aims to develop the student’s abilities to: (1) read, understand, and interpret physical information, (2) describe and explain the sequence of steps in the analysis of a particular physical phenomenon or problem, (3) use extensive mathematical reasoning, (4) perform experiments and interpret the results of observations. Problem analysis using computers and graphic calculators is incorporated into course activities as a means of achieving the above objectives. Students should enroll in Honors Physics with the intention of completing both years of the Honors/A.P. Physics Program. The class meets seven (7) periods per week.

It is all calculus based physics (Odd, I know, for a first year physics course) and apparently you should be able to take the AP Physics B test after completion. I am currently taking AP Calc AB, so I have some basis in calculus already. I was wondering what books you would recommend that would help me out before I take the class (the class is apparently one of the most difficult classes in our school).

Also, there is an AP Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism course that I am interested in taking as well, and that would have me take 2 or perhaps 3 sciences in the same year (Honors Anatomy & Physiology + these two physics courses). Is it worth taking this class? Can I take this AP class without having taken the Honors? This is the only AP physics class we have in our school.. so idk. I've talked to the instructor and he said that it is possible to take it, but I wanted to get some other opinions as well.
I plan on studying extensively in the summer, so any recommendations based upon that?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
bump >_>

My advice is to live a little during the summer

you only get to live once.

Haha, true. But I always have loads of free time where I do nothing and it could definitely be better spent. >_>

So I have signed up for Physics E&M and the Honors Physics...any suggestions on how to prepare in the summer?

awaizy said:
I plan on studying extensively in the summer, so any recommendations based upon that?

Yes. Figure out what math they will be using and then focus on studying that and getting good at solving problems. Also look at the few sections of the course, and get really good with problems related to those sections. What you want to have happen is to set things up, so that when the instructor works on section one, you already know 80% of the stuff and are reading ahead to section two, once she gets to section two, you are already reading up on section three etc. etc.

I suggest AP Calculus BC instead...

twofish-quant said:
Yes. Figure out what math they will be using and then focus on studying that and getting good at solving problems. Also look at the few sections of the course, and get really good with problems related to those sections. What you want to have happen is to set things up, so that when the instructor works on section one, you already know 80% of the stuff and are reading ahead to section two, once she gets to section two, you are already reading up on section three etc. etc.

All right, thanks. I'll try and do that.

I'm taking Calculus BC as well.

Related to Best way to study physics on my own?

1. What is the best study plan for learning physics on my own?

The best study plan for learning physics on your own will vary depending on your learning style and goals. However, a general guideline would be to start with the basics, such as understanding the fundamental concepts and principles, and then gradually building on that knowledge by practicing problems and reviewing material regularly.

2. How can I stay motivated while studying physics on my own?

Staying motivated while studying physics on your own can be challenging, but there are a few strategies that can help. Setting specific goals, breaking up study sessions into manageable chunks, and finding a study partner or joining a study group can all help to keep you motivated and on track.

3. Is it possible to learn physics on my own without a formal education?

Yes, it is possible to learn physics on your own without a formal education. With the vast amount of resources available online, such as textbooks, lectures, and practice problems, you can acquire a solid understanding of physics on your own. However, it may require more discipline and self-motivation compared to learning in a formal setting.

4. How much time should I dedicate to studying physics on my own?

The amount of time you should dedicate to studying physics on your own will depend on your individual goals and learning pace. However, a general recommendation is to study for at least 1-2 hours per day, consistently. It is also important to take breaks and allow yourself time to rest and absorb the material.

5. What are some effective resources for studying physics on my own?

There are many effective resources available for studying physics on your own. Some popular options include online lectures and courses, textbooks, practice problems, and study guides. It can also be helpful to supplement your learning with interactive tools, such as simulations and visual aids.