Best SF Books of this century?

• Thread starter BWV
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books Sf
In summary, the authors listed enjoyed some of the books more than others, but all agreed that the series was the best of this century. The writing is so engaging using pov and switching between characters to get a fuller picture of what is happening. Some of the author's favorites include Neal Stephenson, Peter Hamilton, and Iain M. Banks.
Thank you for that. I have read Scalzi and enjoyed him. Will explore further. And thanks to those who recommended some other literary fiction writers.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am reading another book by Blake Crouch -- excellent. Once again I will recommend him without naming a book, because everything I've read by him has been full of imagination and thrills. Try anything he has written.

BWV said:
Trolling for more reading material, my list:

Alastair Reynolds: Pushing Ice, House of Suns
Neal Stephenson: Seveneves
Peter Hamilton: Commonwealth Saga
Cixin Liu: Three Body Problem
Thanks, I just finished the 3 body problem, well the first book. What an unusual plot. Thanks for the recommendation!

Likes OscarCP, BWV and jedishrfu
Daemon & Freedom by Daniel Suarez

This is a single story spread over two books. Computer gaming genius creates Daemon that murders people after his death and begins taking over corporations. Lots of economics and social commentary.

Gotta have computers as a major part of the story. They are what is really changing this century.

I have been very impressed by the latest work, as of this writing, by Kim Stanley Robinson: "The Ministry for the Future" ("for" as "in favor ", or "in defense of"). That in the story is the unofficial name of an organization set up under the aegis of the United Nations to fund research on how to take proactive action to help mitigate and, as much as possible, reverse the effects of CO2 and other pollutants on the one planet we all have no choice but to live on, whatever Mr. Elon Musk might think about Mars as a viable alternative.

There is also a group of Indian origin, calling itself "The Sons of Kali", the Hindu Goddess of Death, who attacks and destroys through sabotage and terrorist acts those responsible for activities that cause most of those emissions and profit most from doing this.
And the Ministry itself might have a secret and perhaps rogue "Black Wing" that takes care of things the hard way.

It starts very dramatically in India with a grim climate catastrophe -- told from the point of view of a survivor that will become one of the important and most problematic characters of the novel -- caused by a monstrous heat wave there that goes on for days and days and kills twenty thousand people. The upshot of this is the start of deep political changes there and elsewhere, as well as the gathering of an international conference prompted by such a disaster, where the creation of the Ministry is decided, to be funded to the tune of several billion dollars a year.

Not only I recommend this long book for being very well written and with many passages that are actually page-turners and characters one can sympathize with and that grow on one as the pages go by, interspersed with serious and also interesting ideas and information well researched by the author. Robinson has long been active in leading organizations dedicated to understanding and helping understand the problem of climate change, and this shows.

The bottom line is that the only good thing about global warming I can think of is that it has prevented an otherwise likely new Ice Age from getting started. But if jumping from the fridge into a hot frying pan is what we have been doing, that is not a wonderful thing to our credit.
Wished we had a Ministry for the Future right now, working full-tilt towards getting us and the future generations out of this mess we live in, one of our mostly innocent and ignorant own making.

But Robinson probably is right: only an unprecedentedly horrible catastrophe is what might finally push the Powers That Be of this world to move from empty gestures and declarations to actual positive and sustained action. Color me pessimistic. For now.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...binson-review-how-to-solve-the-climate-crisis

"Kim Stanley Robinson, who wrote the classic Red Mars trilogy of novels about geoengineering the red planet to be habitable by humans, now offers a story about whether we can geoengineer Earth back into Earth."

Last edited by a moderator:
I read this book recently Sundown: Derailing Dystopia and enjoyed the ghetto-like NYC backdrop of the story. It’s a police procedural with a science fiction twist set in a future NYC of 2057.

jedishrfu said:
I read this book recently Sundown: Derailing Dystopia and enjoyed the ghetto-like NYC backdrop of the story. It’s a police procedural with a science fiction twist set in a future NYC of 2057.
Thanks. Who is the author?

I, my spouse and several friends ended up loving most of the Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold. For the first book Cordelia's Honor, you have to plow through dozens of pages of background and world building before the storyline can really take off. 20 plus books with interlocking characters and still good if read in any order.

You might also check out James H. Schmitz. Older, and some with psionics.

Likes BWV
BWV said:

Just finished a book called Where Worlds Avoid by Dan Treacy. Rumours are doing the rounds that it is a pseudonym but its hilarious. Very Pratchett-esque and definitely worth a read

Likes harborsparrow and BWV
I just finished read Semiosis by Sue Burke and am now reading the sequel Interference.

It's a colonization/survival story, fleeing a corrupt Earth.

What an incredible premise! The moment the protag expressed it I wondered why no one had thought of it before:

Animals live, learn and die, taking with them all the knowledge that they couldn't pass on. Each new generation starts virtually from scratch.
Plants do not die. They can live for centuries, spread themselves across the land, and have a continuous connection with their own history.

It makes perfect sense that plants - once they evolve a nervous system - can rapidly catch up to and outpace animals in sentience. Semiosis is a story of symbiosis between broken-down, stranded colonists, who will surely die on a hostile planet - and the local plant life, who exchanges nutrients and resources in-kind. But are they equals? Or are the humans effectively well-treated servants?

Likes BWV
I’ve heard that when authors switch genres in their writing they will use a pseudonym so as not to confuse readers who follow their name in the genre buying every book they write. It also means their books won’t automatically get placed with their usual genre in the bookstore or cataloged online.

Not recent, but enjoyed Ian Banks first two Culture novels, sort of Star Trek (godlike tech, FTL, Federation-like space empire) for adults

BWV said:
Not recent, but enjoyed Ian Banks first two Culture novels, sort of Star Trek (godlike tech, FTL, Federation-like space empire) for adults
Yeah, Banks had a good run there. Sad how it's always the good ones who trip over life.

I may have mentioned this before but Bruce Sterling's "Crystal Express" contains as the first story "Swarm" which is one of my all time favorites.

[EDIT: I was pretty sure that the antology was free or public domain or something but as Im not sure I removed the link. It'll be easy to find if you really want to though. [/EDIT]

Last edited:
BWV said:

I noticed that there is another book in the Three Body Problem world.
The Redemption of Time: A Three-Body Problem Novel Paperback – Aug. 4 2020
by Baoshu (Author), Ken Liu (Translator)

I have not read it yet, so I have no idea. It's the same translator that Cixin Liu used. And the author listed as Baoshu has only this one book listed on Amazon right now.

Likes BWV