Best Books on Quantum Mechanics (Undergrad Level)

• Thread starter the_kid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Qm
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a concise book on quantum mechanics at an advanced undergraduate level. Recommendations of Sakurai and Quantum Mechanics by P. C. W. Davies are given, with the latter being a short and basic book. Another suggestion is Dicke & Wittke, which covers the basics but goes further than a typical undergraduate course.
the_kid
I'm looking for a good book on QM to study from (at the advanced undergrad level), but the caveat is that it must be concise. What do you recommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you seen any quantum mechanics before? Sakurai is legitimate graduate level but an advanced undergraduate could of course handle it.

Yes, I've taken a rigorous one-term undergraduate course, but I'm looking to review using a concise book that avoids lengthy exposition. Thanks for the reply!

I'd agree that Sakurai is a good follow on to an undergraduate course.

If you want a really short book, try Quantum Mechanics by P. C. W. Davies. He does not cover anything beyond the very basics, but often in a clever way.

https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Mechanics-Student-physics-P-C-W/dp/071009962&tag=pfamazon01-20

Also, look for Dicke & Wittke in the library. It's concise, has good coverage of the basics, while going further than the typical undergraduate course.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005C4352Y/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:

I understand the importance of finding the right resources for studying a complex subject like quantum mechanics. In my experience, one of the best books for undergraduates at the advanced level is "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths. This book strikes a perfect balance between being concise and covering all the essential topics in quantum mechanics. It also includes numerous examples and practice problems to help students solidify their understanding of the concepts.

Another excellent option is "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili. This book provides a clear and concise introduction to quantum mechanics, with a focus on applications and real-world examples. It also includes helpful summaries and review questions at the end of each chapter.

If you are looking for a more mathematically rigorous approach, I would recommend "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by R. Shankar. This book is widely used in undergraduate quantum mechanics courses and offers a thorough and concise treatment of the subject, with a strong emphasis on mathematical formalism.

Ultimately, the best book for you will depend on your personal learning style and the specific topics you want to focus on. I suggest browsing through these recommendations and seeing which one resonates with you the most. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Best Books on Quantum Mechanics (Undergrad Level)

1. What are some good introductory books on quantum mechanics for undergraduate students?

Some popular options for undergraduate students include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Modern Quantum Mechanics" by J.J. Sakurai, and "Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development" by Leslie E. Ballentine.

2. Are there any books that offer a more advanced understanding of quantum mechanics for undergraduates?

Yes, some recommended books for a deeper understanding of quantum mechanics at the undergraduate level include "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by R. Shankar, "Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers" by David A. B. Miller, and "Quantum Mechanics" by Claude Cohen-Tannoudji et al.

3. Which books on quantum mechanics have the most comprehensive and clear explanations?

Some highly praised books for their clear and comprehensive explanations are "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, "Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers" by David A. B. Miller, and "Quantum Mechanics" by Claude Cohen-Tannoudji et al.

4. Are there any books that provide a practical application of quantum mechanics at the undergraduate level?

Yes, some books that offer practical applications of quantum mechanics for undergraduates include "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili, "Quantum Mechanics: An Experimentalist's Approach" by Eugene D. Commins, and "Quantum Mechanics in Simple Matrix Form" by Thomas F. Jordan.

5. Are there any online resources or supplemental materials that can enhance the learning experience of undergraduate students studying quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are many online resources and supplemental materials available, such as interactive simulations, lecture notes, video lectures, and practice problems. Some recommended websites include MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and The Feynman Lectures on Physics. Additionally, many textbooks also come with online resources, such as solution manuals and additional practice problems.