Best book for Classical Mechanics for Undergrad Student

In summary, In order to become a proficient mathematician and physicist, you should consider getting:-Goldstein-Kleppner-Morin-Feynman's lectures in Physics Vol I.
boson42
I was just wondering, what book would you suggest for me as a undergrad student going into 1st year at university. I will be completing an honours in math and physics, and I just want some material to self-learn over the summer and to keep myself occupied. My prior physics knowledge includes completing physics in the IB program and I also know the basics of calculus and some multivariable calculus as well. Some books I have seen mentioned are, Goldsteins, Klepnners, Morins and others.

Physics news on Phys.org
Goldstein is a graduate level text not a first year text; it is meant to expand upon topics in 2nd year mechanics and then some. You can't get any better than Kleppner + Morin so get both. I used both and I have to say they are easily the best physics books (not just mechanics!) I've ever used. Kleppner makes mechanics seem like the most beautiful thing in the world (even though that title is rightfully held by electromagnetism xP). Good luck!

Ah alright, I thought goldstein seemed a bit challenging at first read;
I've looked at Klepnner and it seems straightforward enough, however the difficulty of the problems in Morins, classical mechanics seem a bit difficult and often times I wonder how to arrive at that solution; any tips to help?
Thanks for the help!

The problems in Kleppner and in Morin tend to overlap quite a bit and both texts have a slew of very difficult problems (Morin more so than Kleppner). The best advice I can give you is: struggle as much as you can with the problem and if you can't figure it out then ask on the forum for help. Having someone guide you through the problem will be the best way to figure it out. Cheers!

I can suggest Resnick and Halliday and supplemented by Feynmann's lectures in Physics Vol I.

Related to Best book for Classical Mechanics for Undergrad Student

1. What is the best book for learning classical mechanics as an undergraduate student?

The best book for learning classical mechanics as an undergraduate student is "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor. It provides a clear and concise explanation of the core concepts and has many practice problems to help solidify understanding.

2. Is there a specific book that is recommended for self-study in classical mechanics?

Yes, "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin is highly recommended for self-study in classical mechanics. It is written in a conversational style and includes many examples and exercises to aid in understanding.

3. Are there any books that offer a more advanced treatment of classical mechanics?

Yes, "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein is a widely used graduate-level textbook that offers a more in-depth and mathematical treatment of classical mechanics. It is recommended for students pursuing a deeper understanding of the subject.

4. Can you recommend a book that covers both classical mechanics and special relativity?

"An Introduction to Mechanics" by Daniel Kleppner and Robert Kolenkow covers both classical mechanics and special relativity in one comprehensive textbook. It is a popular choice for undergraduate courses in physics.

5. Is there a book that includes historical context and real-world applications in classical mechanics?

"Classical Mechanics: A Modern Perspective" by Vernon Barger and Martin Olsson not only covers the fundamental principles of classical mechanics but also includes historical context and real-world applications, making it a well-rounded textbook for undergraduate students.