Bead sliding on a rotating straight rigid wire.

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a bead is attached to a wire of infinite length that rotates at a constant angular speed. The equations of motion have been derived using Lagrangian dynamics, and it is known that the bead accelerates radially along the wire. However, the conversation raises a question about the intuitive understanding of how the bead moves outward along the wire without any apparent force acting on it. The equations show that the bead has a total acceleration of zero, but it only appears to have a radial acceleration.
Aerostd

Homework Statement

I think I will start with the figure below:

beadwire.jpg

The wire of infinite length rotates about the point "a" with constant angular speed. The bead starts out at rest. There is no friction or gravity.

I have already derived the equations of motion for this system (I used Lagrangian dynamics) and from those equations I know that the bead accelerates radially along the wire (x increases). But what I can't explain is how this bead is moving in a direction in which no force is acting on it.

The only force acting on the bead is the reaction force of the wire on the bead, but that is perpendicular to the wire so it should not cause the bead to move outward along the wire.

The equations tell me the behavior of the bead, but I cannot intuitively understand what is making it move outward along the wire.

Homework Equations

Let i, j, k be unit vectors. i is along the radius of the wire. j is in tangential direction and k is out of the page/screen.

position vector to bead: r = x*i where i is a unit vector along the radius stuck in the wire.

v = x'*i + cross_product{ w*k, x*i}

v = x'*i + w*x*j

Kinetic Energy T = 0.5 * m *(x'^2 + (w*x)^2 )

Apply Lagrange's equation to obtain:

m*x'' - m*w^2*x = 0

So the bead will accelerate radially.

The Attempt at a Solution

:(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Aerostd! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
Aerostd said:
The only force acting on the bead is the reaction force of the wire on the bead, but that is perpendicular to the wire so it should not cause the bead to move outward along the wire.

The equations tell me the behavior of the bead, but I cannot intuitively understand what is making it move outward along the wire.

Apply Lagrange's equation to obtain:

m*x'' - m*w^2*x = 0

So the bead will accelerate radially.

It only appears to accelerate radially.

For example, if you twirl something in a circle on the end of a rope, it appears to have zero radial acceleration, but as you know it actually has the centripetal acceleration of -ω2r.

This bead has total acceleration -ω2r + r'', which of course is zero. :wink:

r= A*exp(ωt);
A based on initial position

Related to Bead sliding on a rotating straight rigid wire.

1. What is the purpose of studying bead sliding on a rotating straight rigid wire?

The purpose of studying bead sliding on a rotating straight rigid wire is to understand the dynamics of objects moving along a curved path. This concept has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and biology.

2. What factors affect the motion of the bead on a rotating wire?

The motion of the bead on a rotating wire is affected by the rotational speed of the wire, the mass of the bead, the friction between the bead and the wire, and the angle at which the wire is inclined.

3. Can the bead slide off the wire during rotation?

Yes, the bead can slide off the wire during rotation if the centrifugal force acting on the bead is greater than the frictional force between the bead and the wire. This can happen if the rotational speed of the wire is too high or if the angle of inclination is too steep.

4. How does the position of the bead change as the wire rotates?

The position of the bead on the rotating wire is constantly changing due to the combined effects of gravity and centrifugal force. As the wire rotates, the bead moves along the curved path of the wire, and its position can be described using mathematical equations.

5. What practical applications does the concept of bead sliding on a rotating wire have?

The concept of bead sliding on a rotating wire has practical applications in designing conveyor belts, roller coasters, and other systems that involve objects moving along a curved path. It also has applications in studying the motion of particles in fluid dynamics and biological systems.