Solving for the tangential force for a bead on a wire

In summary, the speaker is unsure about their solutions for parts b and c of a physics problem and believes they may be too simple. They propose that the tangential force can be found by multiplying the mass of the bead with the second time derivative of the position along the length of the wire. However, the speaker is open to other interpretations and would appreciate any insights.
Mason Smith

Homework Statement

upload_2019-2-19_13-49-28.png

upload_2019-2-19_13-50-17.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty sure that I solved part a correctly. However, I feel as though my solutions for parts b and c are not quite correct because they seem simple. For instance, my solution for part b argues that the tangential force is just the product of the mass of the bead and the tangential acceleration. The tangential acceleration is equal to the second time derivative of the position along the length of the wire. Therefore, the tangential force is equal to the product of the mass of the bead and the second time derivative of the position along the length of the wire.
upload_2019-2-19_13-53-48.png

However, this approach seems a little too simple. Any insight is much appreciated.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-19_13-49-28.png
    upload_2019-2-19_13-49-28.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 628
  • upload_2019-2-19_13-50-17.png
    upload_2019-2-19_13-50-17.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 651
  • upload_2019-2-19_13-53-48.png
    upload_2019-2-19_13-53-48.png
    443 bytes · Views: 563
Physics news on Phys.org
Mason Smith said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 239004
View attachment 239005

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty sure that I solved part a correctly. However, I feel as though my solutions for parts b and c are not quite correct because they seem simple. For instance, my solution for part b argues that the tangential force is just the product of the mass of the bead and the tangential acceleration. The tangential acceleration is equal to the second time derivative of the position along the length of the wire. Therefore, the tangential force is equal to the product of the mass of the bead and the second time derivative of the position along the length of the wire.
View attachment 239007
However, this approach seems a little too simple. Any insight is much appreciated.
It seems simple because you are thinking like a physicist. :oldsmile: Good! (I'm just having some fun.)

Maybe they want a more formal derivation. In particular, can you justify your claim that the tangential component of acceleration is given by ##\ddot s##? Try the suggestion of taking the time derivative of the identity ##v^2 = \vec v \cdot \vec v##.

Likes Mason Smith

Related to Solving for the tangential force for a bead on a wire

1. What is the formula for solving for the tangential force for a bead on a wire?

The formula for solving for the tangential force for a bead on a wire is F = mv^2 / r, where F is the tangential force, m is the mass of the bead, v is the velocity of the bead, and r is the radius of the wire.

2. How do you determine the direction of the tangential force?

The direction of the tangential force can be determined by using the right-hand rule. Place your right hand with your fingers in the direction of the velocity of the bead and curl them towards the direction of the magnetic field created by the wire. The direction your thumb points is the direction of the tangential force.

3. Can the tangential force be negative?

Yes, the tangential force can be negative if the velocity of the bead is decreasing or if the magnetic field and velocity are in opposite directions.

4. How does the mass of the bead affect the tangential force?

The mass of the bead directly affects the tangential force. A larger mass will result in a larger tangential force, while a smaller mass will result in a smaller tangential force.

5. What happens to the tangential force if the velocity of the bead is doubled?

If the velocity of the bead is doubled, the tangential force will quadruple. This is because velocity is squared in the formula for tangential force, so any increase in velocity will result in a larger increase in the tangential force.