Basic Forces and Motion Problem (friction)

In summary, the conversation discusses two masses moving on a frictionless surface with friction between them. The masses have different accelerations due to an applied force and the question asks for the values of Ff, Fpush, and Fnet,x. The attempted solution involves using the formula Fpush = (100kg + 20kg)(6m/s) = Fnet,x, but the correct answer is 680N. The conversation also mentions the possibility of no friction between the blocks.
Nragis
1. Homework Statement
You have two masses moving across a frictionless surface, yet there is friction between the two masses. Mass 2 is on top of Mass 1 A force is applied to m1 which causes It to accelerate at 6 m/s2 and the friction between the two masses causes m2 to accelerate at 4 m/s2

What is Ff? Fpush? Fnet,x?

m1 = 100kg
a1 = 6 m/s2
m2 = 20kg
a2= 4 m/s2

Homework Equations

F = ma
Newton’s third law

The Attempt at a Solution

Both my teacher and my classmates told me that this was wrong and you just plug the formula Fpush = (100kg+20kg)(6m/s) = Fnet,x, but this didn't make sense because the frictional force on m2 had to come from m1, so it was subtracted (added to opposite direction) of m1

6pExroH.jpg

Attachments

• 6pExroH.jpg
    6pExroH.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 773
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nragis said:
1. Homework Statement
You have two masses moving across a frictionless surface, yet there is friction between the two masses. Mass 2 is on top of Mass 1 A force is applied to m1 which causes It to accelerate at 6 m/s2 and the friction between the two masses causes m2 to accelerate at 4 m/s2

What is Ff? Fpush? Fnet,x?

m1 = 100kg
a1 = 6 m/s2
m2 = 20kg
a2= 4 m/s2

Homework Equations

F = ma
Newton’s third law

The Attempt at a Solution

Both my teacher and my classmates told me that this was wrong and you just plug the formula Fpush = (100kg+20kg)(6m/s) = Fnet,x, but this didn't make sense because the frictional force on m2 had to come from m1, so it was subtracted (added to opposite direction) of m1

View attachment 213714
You are correct. The applied force is 680N.
You could try asking your classmates: what if there were no friction between the blocks?

Okay, thanks for the reply. I just didn’t want to bring it up further if I was actually wrong

Related to Basic Forces and Motion Problem (friction)

1. What is friction and how does it affect motion?

Friction is a force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact with each other. It acts in the opposite direction of motion and can slow down or stop an object's movement.

2. What are the different types of friction?

The three main types of friction are static friction, which occurs when an object is at rest, kinetic friction, which occurs when an object is in motion, and rolling friction, which occurs between a rolling object and the surface it is rolling on.

3. How does the coefficient of friction affect the amount of friction between two surfaces?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of how rough or smooth the surfaces of two objects are. The higher the coefficient, the more friction there will be between the two surfaces.

4. How does the weight of an object affect the amount of friction it experiences?

The weight of an object does not directly affect the amount of friction it experiences. However, the force of gravity acting on the object can increase the normal force between the surfaces, which in turn can increase the amount of friction.

5. How can friction be reduced or increased?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants or by making the surfaces smoother. It can be increased by making the surfaces rougher or by increasing the normal force between the surfaces.