Baptism by fire? 2nd year of master's at polytechnique

In summary, The speaker has been accepted into the M2 program in high energy physics at Ecole Polytechnique in Paris. They have looked at the compulsory courses and each will consist of 1 hour of lecture and 2 hours of tutorial per week from September 2011 to January 2012. The speaker has reached out to a professor who confirmed that it will be an "extremely loaded semester". The speaker expresses concern about the intense schedule and wonders if it is the "French way" to cram as much material as possible in a short amount of time. They will get more details in July, but are already apprehensive about the workload. The speaker did their undergrad at Université de Montréal in Canada and speculates that the
Kyleric
I've been accepted in the M2 (2nd year of master's) program in high energy physics at Ecole Polytechnique, in Paris. I looked at the compulsory courses I'd have to take. Here they are:

-Beyond the standard model, supersymmetry and supergravity;
-The standard model - weak and strong interactions.
-Methods of statistical analysis and simulation, experiments and physics of detectors;
-Advanced quantum field theory and introduction to string theory;
-Astroparticles, astrophysics and cosmology.

Each of these courses will take place from september 2011 to the end of january 2012. They will each consist of 1h of lecture and 2h of tutorial per week.
I sent an email to a professor there and he confirmed to me that it was an "extremely loaded semester". That's almost an understatement.
Is that the "French way"? What's the big idea? To stick a funnel in my brain and cram as much material as possible in the least amount of time?
I'm very apprehensive and creeped out about this. I'll get more details when I'll talk to two professors at the end of july, but it might end up as bad as it looks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like you'll be getting your money's worth.

Kyleric said:

Out of curiosity, where did you do your undergrad?

I think that because it's a really excellent university so it's probably their way of thinning the herd and ranking students. Is it a pass/fail course?

Thy Apathy said:
Out of curiosity, where did you do your undergrad?
I did it at Université de Montréal, in Canada.

streeters said:
I think that because it's a really excellent university so it's probably their way of thinning the herd and ranking students. Is it a pass/fail course?
Yes it's possible to fail. I sent another e-mail to a professor and apparently the evaluation in all these courses will be done on the basis of an oral presentation. That makes the ordeal somewhat less scary.

Related to Baptism by fire? 2nd year of master's at polytechnique

What is "Baptism by Fire"?

"Baptism by Fire" is a term used to describe a challenging and intense initiation process, often in a new job or field of study. It requires individuals to quickly adapt, learn, and perform under pressure in order to prove their capabilities and commitment.

Why is "Baptism by Fire" important for second-year Master's students at Polytechnique?

Second-year Master's students at Polytechnique are expected to have a strong foundation in their chosen field of study and be prepared to take on advanced and complex projects. "Baptism by Fire" helps students develop crucial skills such as problem-solving, time management, and resilience, which are essential for success in their future careers.

How can students prepare for "Baptism by Fire" at Polytechnique?

Students can prepare for "Baptism by Fire" by familiarizing themselves with the expectations and requirements of their program, building a strong network of support with fellow students and professors, and staying organized and proactive in their studies and projects.

What are the benefits of going through "Baptism by Fire" at Polytechnique?

Going through "Baptism by Fire" at Polytechnique can help students develop a strong work ethic, build confidence in their abilities, and gain practical experience in their field of study. It also prepares them for the challenges they may face in their future careers.

Are there any potential drawbacks to "Baptism by Fire" at Polytechnique?

While "Baptism by Fire" can be a valuable learning experience, it can also be overwhelming and stressful for some students. It is important for students to prioritize their mental and physical well-being and seek support if needed during this challenging time.