Ball Rotation on a Ball: Solving for Center of Mass Velocity

In summary, the question is asking for the center of mass velocity of a ball that is rolling down a fixed ball, with a given angular velocity and moment of inertia. The solution involves considering the kinematics of the motion and using equations for potential and kinetic energy to determine the velocity. There may be some confusion about the placement of the zero potential energy point, but it does not affect the overall solution.
Karol

Homework Statement

A ball of mass m and radius r starts off on top of a fixed ball of radius R. it rotates down without slipping.
What's the ball's center of mass velocity as a function of θ.
The angular velocity is ω.

Homework Equations

Moment of inertia: ##I=\frac{2}{5}mr^2##
Potential energy: ##E_p=mgh##
Kinetic energy due to rotation: ##E_ω=\frac{1}{2}I\dot\theta^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

Kinematics: the path the small ball makes is equal to the path on the big one, and so are the angular velocities
$$R\dot\theta=r\omega\rightarrow\omega=\frac{r}{R}\dot\theta$$
The height of the ball's center during the fall is ##(R+r)\cos\theta##
Total energy at the top, relative to the center, is equal during the fall:
$$mg(R+r)=\frac{1}{2}\left( \frac{2}{5}mr^2 \right)\omega^2+mg(R+r)\cos\theta$$
$$mg(R+r)=\frac{mr^2}{5}\frac{R^2}{r^2}\dot\theta^2+mg(R+r)\cos\theta$$
The center of the ball's velocity is ##v=(R+r)\dot\theta##
I can't solve for v, and the answer should be an isolated v

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 424
Physics news on Phys.org
whats the meaning of isolated v ? If you can give me an example I can solve the question.

I think ##v## is ##v_{cm}##. Check your 1st equation for energy consevation. Is it correct?

theodoros.mihos said:
Check your 1st equation for energy consevation. Is it correct?
$$mg(R+r)=\frac{1}{2}\left( \frac{2}{5}mr^2 \right)\omega^2+mg(R+r)\cos\theta+\frac{1}{2}mv_{cm}^2$$
kinematics:
$$v_{cm}=(R+r)\dot\theta\rightarrow\dot\theta^2=\frac{v_{cm}^2}{(R+r)^2}$$
$$mg(R+r)=\frac{1}{2}\left( \frac{2}{5}mr^2 \right)\frac{R^2}{r^2}\dot\theta^2+mg(R+r)\cos\theta+\frac{1}{2}mv_{cm}^2$$
$$mg(R+r)=\frac{1}{2}\left( \frac{2}{5}mr^2 \right)\frac{v_{cm}^2}{(R+r)^2}+mg(R+r)\cos\theta+\frac{1}{2}mv_{cm}^2$$
$$v_{cm}^2=\frac{10g(R+r)^3(1-\cos\theta)}{2R^2+5(R+r)}^2$$
It's not right

##\omega## is not ##\dot{\theta}##. The ratio is ##\frac{\omega}{\dot{\theta}} = \frac{R}{r}##

If you know th exact answer can you tell me ? I solved it I guess.I think your equation is wrong why there is ##(R+r)mg## and the other side ##(R+r)mgcosθ##

Last edited:
theodoros.mihos said:
##\omega## is not ##\dot{\theta}##. The ratio is ##\frac{\omega}{\dot{\theta}} = \frac{R}{r}##
But i have done that in:
$$mg(R+r)=\frac{1}{2}\left( \frac{2}{5}mr^2 \right)\omega^2+mg(R+r)\cos\theta+\frac{1}{2}mv_{cm}^2$$
$$mg(R+r)=\frac{1}{2}\left( \frac{2}{5}mr^2 \right)\frac{R^2}{r^2}\dot\theta^2+mg(R+r)\cos\theta+\frac{1}{2}mv_{cm}^2$$

Ok. You are make correct inside equation.

Why there's two potantial energy ? Can somebody give me an answer ??

The right hand is the potential energy to arbitrary angle ##\theta>0##.

Your answer is correct. The angle that the small ball leave the big ball surface is another question.

Last edited:
In yor perspective the potantial energy on "top" will be zero that's nonsense.The total potantial energy is ##mg(R+r)(1-cosθ)## or ##mg(R+r)(cosθ)##

Last edited:
There is a problem with the unlucky point on the attached graph. With big ball centre as origin the potential energy is ##mg(R+r)\cos{\theta}##.

If you consider left picture you need to realize the potantial energy is cannot be zero top but If you consider right picture you will consider that potantial energy iz zero.I am not wrong which one x and which one is x-axis and which one is y-axis ? I assumed left picture and If you assumed same thing then my equation is true.But If yıu assume right pic your equation is true.

Attachments

• circle.png
    circle.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 382
On the OP, the potential energy variation makes the move, indepented from origin. See a better image.

In your solution for [itex]v^2[/itex] why did you square the [itex]1-\cos \theta[/itex]?
Was that a typo?
Also a square should be missing from the denominator (where you add m^2 with m)

Likes RyanH42
Also there is no problem with the potential energy as written.
At first when the ball is on top you may say that you have potential energy [itex]mg (R+r)[/itex].
Then the potential energy once the ball has taken some kinetic energies by slidding, the potential energy is [itex]mg (R+r) \cos \theta[/itex].
The zero is taken at the height of the big ball's center.

It doesn't matter where you take the zero in fact, since the potential energy of the system will have to be mg(R+r) at the beginning (at the end potential energy is not taken at a point but as the difference between two points). Either you take point A to be 0 and point B to be U, you can as well take point B to be 0 and point A will be U.

Likes RyanH42
*deleted found the answer*

Likes RyanH42
Karol said:
the angular velocities ##R\dot\theta=r\omega##
Not sure if this has been pointed out already, but that is not right. E.g. consider the case where r=R and it has rolled all the way from top to bottom. ##\theta = \pi##. Through what angle has the moving ball rotated?

[Edit: there is quite a quick way. Pretend that at angle ##\theta## the moving ball encounters a ramp going down tangentially to the fixed ball. Will transition to the ramp immediately change the linear or angular velocities? What is its KE now?]

Last edited:
ChrisVer said:
Also there is no problem with the potential energy as written.
At first when the ball is on top you may say that you have potential energy [itex]mg (R+r)[/itex].
Then the potential energy once the ball has taken some kinetic energies by slidding, the potential energy is [itex]mg (R+r) \cos \theta[/itex].
The zero is taken at the height of the big ball's center.

It doesn't matter where you take the zero in fact, since the potential energy of the system will have to be mg(R+r) at the beginning (at the end potential energy is not taken at a point but as the difference between two points). Either you take point A to be 0 and point B to be U, you can as well take point B to be 0 and point A will be U.
Thank you

Karol said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Kinematics: the path the small ball makes is equal to the path on the big one, and so are the angular velocities
$$R\dot\theta=r\omega\rightarrow\omega=\frac{r}{R}\dot\theta$$
As Haruspex pointed out, it is not right.
See figure.
ballonsphere2.JPG

The contact point with the sphere is the red dot on the ball. The ball rolls a distance s on the ball , so the point A moves into A', and the length of arc P1A' on the sphere is s. The angle <P'O'A' = s/r, but the ball turned by the angle <P'O'P more. The angle of turn of the ball is Φ=s/r+θ. s=θR, so Φ=(R/r+1)θ. ω=dΦ/dt and ##V_{CM}=(R+r)\dot \theta##.

ehild said:
The contact point with the sphere is the red dot on the ball. The ball rolls a distance s on the ball , so the point A moves into A', and the length of arc P1A' on the sphere is s. The angle <P'O'A' = s/r, but the ball turned by the angle <P'O'P more. The angle of turn of the ball is Φ=s/r+θ. s=θR, so Φ=(R/r+1)θ. ω=dΦ/dt and ##V_{CM}=(R+r)\dot \theta##.
I understand but can't imagine. the ball rotates only a distance s, so how can it rotate more?

Karol said:
I understand but can't imagine. the ball rotates only a distance s, so how can it rotate more?
Try expressing the linear movement of the mass centre in two ways:
1. In terms of ##\dot \theta##
2. In terms of ##\omega##

Karol said:
I meant "if it rolls a distance s" along the surface of the big sphere. It can roll shorter or longer .

Draw a big circle of radius R and cut out from paper a small one with radius r=R/3, for example. Roll the small circle along the circumference of the big one and see at what angle it turns while it rolls along an arc of length equal to its own circumference, 2πr.

Last edited:
Theodoros and ehild, with which software did you make those sketches?

The angle the ball rotates is Φ.
$$\phi=\frac{s}{r}+\theta=\frac{R\theta}{r}+\theta=\left( \frac{R}{r}+1 \right)\rightarrow \omega=\dot\theta\left( \frac{R}{r}+1 \right)$$
$$mg(R+r)=\frac{1}{2}\left( \frac{2}{5}mr^2 \right)\dot\theta^2\left( \frac{R}{r}+1 \right)^2+mg(R+r)\cos\theta+\frac{1}{2}mv_{cm}^2$$
$$v_{cm}=(R+r)\dot\theta$$
$$mg(R+r)=\frac{1}{2}\left( \frac{2}{5}mr^2 \right)\frac{v_{cm}^2}{r^2}+mg(R+r)\cos\theta+\frac{1}{2}mv_{cm}^2$$
$$\rightarrow v_{cm}^2=\frac{10}{7}g(R+r)(1-\cos\theta)$$
This is indeed one of the 5 possible answers given in the test

Karol said:
##\rightarrow v_{cm}^2=\frac{10}{7}g(R+r)(1-\cos\theta)##
Can you now see how to get there in a few lines using my hint in post #18?

Karol said:
$$\rightarrow v_{cm}^2=\frac{10}{7}g(R+r)(1-\cos\theta)$$
Well done! :smile:

Last edited:
haruspex said:
[Edit: there is quite a quick way. Pretend that at angle ##\theta## the moving ball encounters a ramp going down tangentially to the fixed ball. Will transition to the ramp immediately change the linear or angular velocities? What is its KE now?]
Did you say that because i asked about the kinematic relation, in which i had a mistake, between θ and Φ(the angle the ball rotates), or do you mean that in this way i can get to the final result:
$$v_{cm}^2=\frac{10}{7}g(R+r)(1-\cos\theta)$$
Indeed i was asked about the relation vcm and θ, so what does it help to put a ramp at θ, after the ball has already reached there?
Edit: i will try to find the velocity by considering a ball rotating down the ramp:
The tangential force applies the torque:
$$mgr\cdot\sin\theta=\frac{2}{5}mr^2\cdot\dot\omega$$
The acceleration of the COM:
$$r\dot\omega=a_{cm}$$
It doesn't help

Last edited:
Karol,

I believe that the short cut that haruspex referred to had to do with the relationship between the little ball's angular velocity and the velocity of the center of mass. Applying this relationship early would allow you to skip a couple steps in your solution. Hope this helps.

Also, could someone explicitly state what is meant by theta with a dot on top? I don't recall this notation.

Wily Willy said:
Also, could someone explicitly state what is meant by theta with a dot on top? I don't recall this notation.
[itex]\dot \theta[/itex] is shorthand notation for the time derivative of θ (that is, [itex]\dot \theta \equiv \frac{d\theta}{dt}[/itex])

More generally [itex]\dot x[/itex] is defined to mean [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] where x can mean pretty much anything, but t exclusively means time. (In other words, dy/dx would not be written as [itex]\dot y[/itex] unless x represents time.) I think this notation is used primarily in physics, but it is used quite a bit.

Furthermore, [itex]\ddot x\equiv \frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}[/itex]

Nathanel already answerd, i erased mine

Karol, you can save time/effort by using the "constraint of rolling" which is [itex]v_{cm}=R\dot \phi[/itex]. That solves the problem without needing to consider [itex]\dot \theta[/itex]

I think Haruspex (when talking about tangent ramps) was just trying to show you that this equation is just as true on a sphere as it is on a flat surface.
(The ball rolls dΦ, it's center of mass must move a distance RdΦ, and everything is flat in this differential limit, thus [itex]v_{cm}=R\dot \phi[/itex])

Nathanael said:
Karol, you can save time/effort by using the "constraint of rolling" which is [itex]v_{cm}=R\dot \phi[/itex]. That solves the problem without needing to consider [itex]\dot \theta[/itex]

I think Haruspex (when talking about tangent ramps) was just trying to show you that this equation is just as true on a sphere as it is on a flat surface.
(The ball rolls dΦ, it's center of mass must move a distance RdΦ, and everything is flat in this differential limit, thus [itex]v_{cm}=R\dot \phi[/itex])
Not exactly.
The ball's mass centre is moving at ##(R+r)\dot \theta##, and it is rolling on a stationary surface, so its rotation rate is ##(R+r)\dot \theta/r##. From that you can write down the KE straight away. I mentioned a ramp because I thought it make that viewpoint more apparent.

Thanks all

Related to Ball Rotation on a Ball: Solving for Center of Mass Velocity

1. How is the center of mass velocity of a rotating ball calculated?

The center of mass velocity of a rotating ball is calculated by using the equation v = ωr, where v is the center of mass velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the distance from the center of rotation to the center of mass.

2. What is the relationship between angular velocity and center of mass velocity?

The angular velocity and center of mass velocity are directly proportional. This means that as the angular velocity increases, the center of mass velocity also increases.

3. How does the shape of the ball affect the center of mass velocity?

The shape of the ball does not affect the center of mass velocity. The center of mass velocity is solely determined by the angular velocity and the distance from the center of rotation to the center of mass.

4. Can the center of mass velocity of a rotating ball be negative?

Yes, the center of mass velocity of a rotating ball can be negative. This indicates that the center of mass is moving in the opposite direction of the angular velocity.

5. How does the mass distribution of the ball impact the center of mass velocity?

The mass distribution of the ball does not directly impact the center of mass velocity. However, if the mass is unevenly distributed, it may affect the angular velocity needed to achieve a certain center of mass velocity.