Balancing College Life: Should I Re-take Calc 2?

In summary, a high school student is currently taking Calc 2 at a community college and has two exams left, expecting to receive a B. However, their mother has a strong belief that they must maintain a perfect 4.0 GPA for future scholarships and university acceptance. The student is considering retaking Calc 2, along with Calc 3 and Physics I, next semester while also balancing a part-time job. Some people in the conversation suggest pushing for an A in Calc 2, while others advise against taking on such a heavy workload. The student also mentions their family's pressure to excel academically and the importance of choosing a major that aligns with personal interests rather than parental expectations.
haxtor21
HS student taking calc 2 at community college. Currently I will have 2 exams left, and by the way things are going I will probably have a B. My mother has this sick obsessions that I must have a 4.0 GPA in order to get a future scholarship and acceptance at university. She made me re-take composition since i got a B+ in it.

Would it be wise to re-take calc 2 next semester, along with calc 3 and physics I ? this would go along with a part time job.

Physics news on Phys.org
It always makes me sad to hear about these types of parents. My parents would hit me with a stick if I got a C on my report card.

OP: are you sure it is mathematically impossible to get an A in Calc 2? If it is still possible, then I would work my tail off the rest of this semester. If you do retake Calc 2, consider that that extra class may result you in getting NO A's next semester, because of the extra load. Then what will you do?

No, it's stupid. If you have good reason to believe that you'll get a scholarship to at least some university then she shouldn't be on your back about it. If you've presented a good argument and proof etc. and she keeps whining about it, tell her to go to hell. Well, maybe. You'll have to weigh your options with the normal behavior of your parents and see if the benefits are worth the 'risks'.

That a bit extreme and unnecessary. Especially with that B+, in the long run that B+ will not hurt your GPA but that much. At least not to the point where if you gotten an A you would have gotten X scholarship at X University.

Plus, since you have two exams left I'm sure there is a good possibility that you can push yourself to that A. Physics I is going to be pretty time extensive and calc 3 is going to be similar to calc 2 in terms of work load. If you think you can handle all that and still make all As then have fun. IMO that kinda workload isn't worth the difference from B to A

My family can be a bit like that too, but I stopped taking orders regarding my academic life a long time ago. It always makes me sad to see students taking majors because their parents made them take it. Then again I don't have that problem so I can't really see it from their perspective.

I understand the importance of academic success and the pressure to maintain a high GPA. However, it is important to also consider the impact of re-taking a course on your overall college experience and future goals.

First, it is important to assess why you received a B in calc 2. Was it due to a lack of effort or understanding of the material, or was it a particularly challenging class? If it was the former, then re-taking the course may be beneficial in improving your understanding and potentially raising your grade. However, if it was the latter, it may not be necessary to re-take the course as you already have a passing grade and may benefit more from focusing on other courses.

Additionally, taking on a part-time job while also re-taking calc 2, calc 3, and physics I may be overwhelming and could potentially impact your performance in all of your courses. It is important to prioritize your workload and consider the potential consequences of taking on too much at once.

Furthermore, it is important to consider the long-term effects of re-taking a course. Will it delay your graduation or impact your ability to take other courses in the future? Will it be worth the extra time and effort in the long run?

Ultimately, the decision to re-take calc 2 should be based on a careful evaluation of your individual situation and priorities. It may be helpful to speak with your academic advisor to discuss your options and determine the best course of action for your academic and personal goals.

Related to Balancing College Life: Should I Re-take Calc 2?

1. Why should I consider re-taking Calc 2?

There are a few reasons why you may want to re-take Calc 2. Perhaps you didn't do as well as you had hoped and want to improve your grade. Or, you may have struggled with certain concepts and want to solidify your understanding before moving on to higher level math courses. Additionally, if you are pursuing a degree or career that heavily relies on calculus, it may be beneficial to have a strong foundation in Calc 2.

2. How will re-taking Calc 2 affect my GPA?

Re-taking a course will replace your previous grade in your GPA calculation. This means that if you previously received a low grade in Calc 2, re-taking it and earning a higher grade can significantly improve your overall GPA. However, it's important to note that some colleges may have policies regarding how re-taken courses are factored into GPA, so be sure to check with your school's academic policies.

3. Will re-taking Calc 2 be a waste of time and money?

Re-taking a course can be a valuable learning experience, especially if you struggled with it the first time. It can also show future employers or graduate schools that you are dedicated and willing to put in the effort to improve. However, if you are confident in your understanding of Calc 2 and only want to re-take it to improve your grade, it may not be worth the time and cost. Consider speaking with your professor or academic advisor to determine if re-taking the course is the best decision for you.

4. Can I re-take Calc 2 and still graduate on time?

It depends on your individual situation and the requirements of your degree program. Re-taking a course may delay your graduation if it is a prerequisite for other courses or if it is only offered during certain semesters. It's important to speak with your academic advisor to create a plan that allows you to re-take Calc 2 and still graduate on time.

5. Is it common for students to re-take Calc 2?

It's not uncommon for students to re-take a course, especially if it is a requirement for their major or if they plan on pursuing a career that heavily relies on the subject. However, it ultimately depends on each individual student's academic goals and needs. Some may choose to re-take Calc 2 for personal reasons, while others may not see the need to do so. It's important to make this decision based on your own academic needs and goals.