Bad economy influencing graduate schools?

In summary, the recession may have a small effect on graduate school admissions, depending on the school.
misterme09
I was wondering whether or not the new state of the economy (recession) will have much of an effect on graduate school as far as whether schools won't offer as many stipends due to increased living expenses or what not.

Any insight?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well in my department, this fall's incoming class is a factor of 4/3 larger than my class was last year. The raise we got this year wasn't as high as it should have been (an extra $50/month...), but that's about it. Apparently the bad economy hasn't had an impact on us.

Don't forget that bad economies drive people into graduate school, too. People losing jobs, or new graduates who are finding it tough on the job market, want to "park" themselves in grad school for a few more years hoping things get better.

More demand means they don't need (or can't) offer as much support, or you might find it harder to get in at all.

Hooray economy shelter!

ks_physicist said:
Don't forget that bad economies drive people into graduate school, too. People losing jobs, or new graduates who are finding it tough on the job market, want to "park" themselves in grad school for a few more years hoping things get better.

More demand means they don't need (or can't) offer as much support, or you might find it harder to get in at all.
Isn't there the possibility that these grad students, once they are done with with their grad studies would be over-qualified for jobs in the market? Wouldn't such decrease their employability even further?

ks_physicist said:

I don't really buy into this. The people going to the top grad schools have been planning to do so for a long time. (Personally, I began making plans during my freshman year.) If you're truly serious about grad school, you won't have much competition from people who decided to hit the snooze button.

Defennder said:
Isn't there the possibility that these grad students, once they are done with with their grad studies would be over-qualified for jobs in the market? Wouldn't such decrease their employability even further?

My undergrad college sends me begging letters, the place I went to grad school doesn't.
Apparently this is policy, they decided it's a waste of time looking for money from anyone who got a PhD!

mgb_phys said:
My undergrad college sends me begging letters, the place I went to grad school doesn't.
Apparently this is policy, they decided it's a waste of time looking for money from anyone who got a PhD!

Actually, it's the exact opposite with me... I *never* hear from the school where I was an undergraduate, but the school I got my Ph.D. from sends magazines, letters, postcards etc. etc.

First, a recession has a very specific meaning: at least two consecutive quarters of negative economic growth, and thus far we haven't had one. In your scientific career, it will help you to use words properly.

Second, there have been cutbacks in students, but not because the economy as a whole has been underperforming. It's because the federal budget for science has not been keeping up with inflation and in some places shrinking. This mostly affects 3rd and later year students on research assistantships, but it's only a matter of time before this affects admissions: if you only can afford 15 third-years, there's no point in admitting 30 first-years.

Does anyone have any data on this? I know someone posted at cosmicvariance that the number of applicants went down this year.

I agree with Vanadium. Any effect on admissions won't happen till 2010 or possibly later. From what I've read there hasnt been anything unusual about the number of apps for 2009. It seems that as far as 2009 is concerned its business as usual However the new administration has been talking about the importance of STEM education so there might be a slight increase in funding at the expense of inflation. NSF has a budget of about 7 billion although a whole lot of money is likely to go to banks to start giving out more loans which I doubt they will (I would take their free money but I wouldn't give out loans given the econ climate). I am not sure how the number of apps will change.

ultraviolet87 said:
Does anyone have any data on this? I know someone posted at cosmicvariance that the number of applicants went down this year.

I read an article a few days ago about an unusually low number of GRE test takers this year despite the economy. I'm hoping this means we won't see a huge increase in applicants! I'll try to dig up the article.

edit - here's the link:
http://insidehighered.com/news/2008/12/08/gre

Last edited:
Brandeis isn't admitting any math grad students this semester. They made this decision about a month ago, and they refunded hopefuls' application fees, with the option of deferring their applications until next year at no charge.

Whether this is a result of the current economic situation, they did not say...

Related to Bad economy influencing graduate schools?

1. How does a bad economy affect graduate school enrollment?

A bad economy can lead to a decrease in graduate school enrollment for several reasons. With fewer job opportunities available, many individuals may choose to delay their education and enter the workforce immediately. Additionally, a bad economy may also result in reduced funding for graduate programs, making it more difficult for students to afford tuition and other expenses.

2. Are graduate schools more competitive during a bad economy?

Yes, graduate schools tend to become more competitive during a bad economy. This is because more individuals may choose to pursue further education in order to increase their job prospects and gain a competitive edge in the job market. This can lead to a larger pool of applicants for limited spots in graduate programs.

3. How does a bad economy impact the job prospects for graduate students?

A bad economy can make it more difficult for graduate students to find employment after completing their degree. With fewer job opportunities available, competition for jobs may be higher and salary offers may be lower. Additionally, companies may also have reduced budgets for hiring new employees during a bad economy.

4. Are there any benefits of attending graduate school during a bad economy?

While a bad economy can present challenges for graduate students, there are also potential benefits. With fewer job opportunities available, graduate students may have more time and flexibility to focus on their studies and research. Additionally, some graduate programs may offer discounted tuition or other financial aid options during a bad economy.

5. How can a bad economy impact the quality of education in graduate schools?

A bad economy may lead to reduced funding for graduate programs, which can result in budget cuts and a decrease in resources for students and faculty. This can potentially impact the quality of education and research opportunities available in graduate schools. Additionally, a bad economy may also make it more difficult for graduate schools to attract top faculty and researchers, further affecting the overall quality of education.