Background for Gaussian Integers?

In summary, having some knowledge of abstract algebra, specifically ring theory, is helpful in understanding the theory of Gaussian integers. However, more advanced topics may require knowledge of number theory. Some recommended references for learning about Gaussian integers are [PLAIN]www.math.uconn.edu/~troby/Math3240F10/Zinotes.pdf[/URL], www.math.ou.edu/~kmartin/nti/chap6.pdf, and www.oberlin.edu/faculty/jcalcut/gausspi.pdf. For further studies, texts in number theory such as Shifrin's "Algebra from a Geometric Viewpoint" or Artin's "Algebra" may be useful.
sutupidmath
Hi,

I was wondering if having some training in algebraic number theory is a must for even starting to work with Gaussian Integers, or one can work with them with some knowledge of abstract algebra, like group, ring and field theory knowledge (i.e. 1 year of undergraduate abstract algebra)?

Also does anyone know any book that treats Gaussian integers in some more depth?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what you want to do with them. But I think it's very possible to understand theory about Gaussian integers without much knowledge of number theory. Some ring theory (= knowledge about rings, UFD's, PID's, Euclidean domains) is already a good starting point.

I can't immediately provide a reference, but I'll search one for you. Can you perhaps be a bit more specific in what you want to do with Gaussian integers??

micromass said:
It depends on what you want to do with them. But I think it's very possible to understand theory about Gaussian integers without much knowledge of number theory. Some ring theory (= knowledge about rings, UFD's, PID's, Euclidean domains) is already a good starting point.

I can't immediately provide a reference, but I'll search one for you. Can you perhaps be a bit more specific in what you want to do with Gaussian integers??

Well, the short term goal is to be able to understand the theory about Gaussian integers. However on the long run, it seemed like an interesting field for research too. So, I am in the lookout for a topic for my senior research thesis/project (which will be this fall), and Gaussian integers stroke me as interesting. So, I was thinking spending some time during the summer learning the proper background, and maybe in the fall starting to think about doing research.

Here are some references containing the basics of Gaussian integers and some applications:

www.math.uconn.edu/~troby/Math3240F10/Zinotes.pdf[/URL]
[url]www.math.ou.edu/~kmartin/nti/chap6.pdf[/url]
[url]www.oberlin.edu/faculty/jcalcut/gausspi.pdf[/url]

If you understand what is in these texts, then you can probably go to more advanced stuff. The problem is that the advanced stuff will probably involve texts in number theory. So you probably need to study that next...

Last edited by a moderator:
check out shifrin's algebra from a geometric viewpoint, or mike artin's algebra.

Related to Background for Gaussian Integers?

1. What are Gaussian integers?

Gaussian integers are complex numbers in the form a + bi, where a and b are both integers and i is the imaginary unit (i.e. the square root of -1). These numbers are named after mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss and are often denoted as ℤ.

2. What is the background of Gaussian integers?

The concept of Gaussian integers was first introduced by mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss in the early 19th century. He was interested in extending the concept of integers to include complex numbers and their properties. Gaussian integers have since been studied extensively in number theory, algebra, and other fields of mathematics.

3. What is the significance of Gaussian integers?

Gaussian integers have many applications in mathematics, particularly in number theory and algebra. They are useful in solving problems related to Diophantine equations, which involve finding integer solutions to polynomial equations. They also have connections to algebraic number theory and are used in the study of quadratic forms.

4. What are the properties of Gaussian integers?

Some key properties of Gaussian integers include closure under addition and multiplication, unique factorization, and a Euclidean division algorithm. They also form a unique factorization domain, meaning that every nonzero Gaussian integer can be written as a product of prime Gaussian integers.

5. How are Gaussian integers represented on the complex plane?

Gaussian integers can be represented on the complex plane as points with integer coordinates, forming a square grid. The real part of the number is represented on the horizontal axis, while the imaginary part is represented on the vertical axis. This representation allows for visualizing operations on Gaussian integers, such as addition and multiplication.