B.S. in Applied Math to grad degree in physics

In summary, you need to take an undergraduate physics course, and then additional coursework in quantum mechanics and electromagnetism.
cg2011
I'm currently a senior at the Coast Guard Academy (graduating in May). My degree is in Applied Math (specifically Operations Research) but am looking to get a grad degree in physics or applied physics in a few years.

What courses am I missing to A. get into a physics grad program and B. have the background to successfully complete it? (courses I've taken are listed below)

Given that I'm going to be serving on a ship that will be away from land a week or two at a time, what are the best ways to take these courses? Are classes like Quantum Mechanics available online and if so would taking it that way give me an adequate background?

Because of the constraints of the grad opportunities the Coast Guard offers I would only be able to pursue a Masters to begin with (It's all paid for though!).

Math/Physics Courses Taken:

Calc I/II/Multivariable
Differential Equations
Linear Algebra
Discrete Math
Probability Theory
Mathematical Statistics (prob theory 2)
Linear Optimization
Non-Linear Optimization
Networks
Simulations
Probability Models
Physics I (Mechanics)
Physics II (E&M)
Astronomy

I'm taking a "directed study" in physics next semester which is basically a learn about whatever you want class. I'm considering using this to study for and take the Phsyics GRE. I also may take Advanced Calculus.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Essentially, you are missing the entire BS in physics coursework. You need to be prepared to take the equivalent of an undergrad BS in physics before starting your master's work.

Your level of mathematics is fine but as Vanadium pointed out you are missing all the essential physics courses. Typically, after Physics I and II, a physics major would need to take,

-Classical Mechanics (junior or senior level course)
-Quantum Mechanics (preferably two semesters)
-Electromagnetism (preferably two semesters)
-Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics

I don't know if you can take these courses online anywhere but I wouldn't recommend doing any graduate coursework in physics without taking the course above. However, I would say you are in good shape to take these upper level undergraduate classes. The only other lower level course you might want to take is an Intro to Modern Physics courses but the four I listed above are the important ones. Hope this helps.

There are also advanced labs, and something on waves and optics. He's maybe 8-10 courses behind, and they need to be made up somewhere.

A friend of mine is a biomedical engineer. She's been working on the prerequisites for physics graduate school for two years now.

This may be a dumb question, but where can you generally take classes like that when not pursuing a degree?

cg2011 said:
This may be a dumb question, but where can you generally take classes like that when not pursuing a degree?

Most universities, not service academies, have a specific number of slots allotted to non-degree seeking students. Also, for a cheaper alternative, the majority of independent study courses can be taken by non-degree seeking students (with infinite slots). Regardless of the route you take, ensure any courses taken are for college credit.

Related to B.S. in Applied Math to grad degree in physics

1. What is the difference between a B.S. in Applied Math and a graduate degree in physics?

A B.S. in Applied Math is an undergraduate degree that focuses on the mathematical foundations and techniques used in various fields, including physics. A graduate degree in physics, on the other hand, is a higher level of education that delves deeper into the theoretical and experimental aspects of physics.

2. Can I pursue a graduate degree in physics with a B.S. in Applied Math?

Yes, many universities offer graduate programs in physics that accept applicants with a B.S. in Applied Math. However, it may be necessary to take additional courses in physics to meet the prerequisites for the program.

3. How will a B.S. in Applied Math prepare me for a graduate degree in physics?

A B.S. in Applied Math provides a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills that are essential for understanding and conducting research in physics. It also introduces students to the mathematical methods commonly used in physics.

4. What career opportunities are available with a B.S. in Applied Math and a graduate degree in physics?

With a B.S. in Applied Math and a graduate degree in physics, you can pursue a career as a research scientist, data analyst, or a teacher in academia or industry. You may also work in fields such as engineering, finance, or technology that require strong mathematical and analytical skills.

5. How long does it take to complete a B.S. in Applied Math and a graduate degree in physics?

The duration of a B.S. in Applied Math program is typically four years, while a graduate degree in physics can take two to three years to complete, depending on the program and whether the student is pursuing a thesis or non-thesis option.