There Are No Atheists in Wormholes

Now all I need is a story for it.
You certain it hasn't been done?

Likes Lren Zvsm
Bystander said:
You certain it hasn't been done?
The title?

I suppose it's possible...

But the story doesn't have to a literal recounting of the title writ long. That might be too on-the-nose.

I find most science fiction titles range between cryptic and utter word salad. "To Sleep in a Sea of Stars", "Far From the Light of Heaven", "Hail Mary", "Children of Time", "A Deepness in the Sky", etc. All hard(ish) sci-fi. Sure as heck nothing in those titles that hints what you're about to to read (to my chagrin).

The main plot could detail the secrets of Mongolian stir frying in lunar gravity, but as long as I added enough obscure subtext to the story, the title would still be on-brand. :oldbiggrin:

DaveC426913 said:
There Are No Atheists in Wormholes ...
Because every time someone traverses a wormhole (a common mode of movement in this story) they have a mental experience that convinces them that there IS a higher power. They don't know if it's "God" or what but it makes them believe there is SOMETHING. This really screws with the head of the main character, for reasons that I leave up to YOU to explain ...

phinds said:
Because every time someone traverses a wormhole (a common mode of movement in this story) they have a mental experience that convinces them that there IS a higher power. They don't know if it's "God" or what but it makes them believe there is SOMETHING. This really screws with the head of the main character, for reasons that I leave up to YOU to explain ...
In Robert J. Sawyer's Neandertal Parallax, the main character (a lapsed Catholic atheist) donned a scalp electrode mesh that would apply an electromagnetic field to a specific region of the brain. The moment the switch was flipped she immediately saw the Virgin Mary standing in front of her, as real as her own hand. She could see, hear and smell her. When the switch was turned off, the Virgin Mary instantly vanished. Proof positive that such incidents of Being Touched By Divinity was - not just entirely in the mind, but entirely in the brain. (Our protagonist burst into tears from the emotional whiplash.)

But that is not this story...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes phinds