Average Power Output for 260000 kg Jet at 9200m Altitude

In summary, the question asks for the average power output of a 260000 kg jet that reaches its cruising altitude of 9200 meters and flies with a speed of 235 m/s after 620 seconds of take-off, neglecting friction. The solution involves calculating the final kinetic energy and change in potential energy, and then using the equation Power = Work/time to find the average power output, which is approximately 11579435.48 Watts. However, the initial attempt at a solution did not take into account the change in potential energy, so the equation ΔKE + ΔPE = Work should be used instead.
spockjones20

Homework Statement

620 seconds after starting its take-off, a 260000 kg jet reaches its cruising altitude of 9200 meters and flies with a speed of 235 m/s. Neglecting friction, what has been the average power output of the engines?

Homework Equations

ΔKE = Work
Power = Work/time

The Attempt at a Solution

Initial KE = 0
Final KE = .5*260000*235^2 = 7179250000
Power = 7179250000/620 = 11579435.48 Watts

Can someone see an issue with what I am trying to do here? I tried to type in this answer but apparently it is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
spockjones20 said:

Homework Statement

620 seconds after starting its take-off, a 260000 kg jet reaches its cruising altitude of 9200 meters and flies with a speed of 235 m/s. Neglecting friction, what has been the average power output of the engines?

Homework Equations

ΔKE = Work
Power = Work/time

The Attempt at a Solution

Initial KE = 0
Final KE = .5*260000*235^2 = 7179250000
Power = 7179250000/620 = 11579435.48 Watts

Can someone see an issue with what I am trying to do here? I tried to type in this answer but apparently it is wrong.

I haven't checked your math, but I can see you left out the change in potential energy.

Ok. Would that go into the work equation?

spockjones20 said:
Ok. Would that go into the work equation?

I believe so.

Try this: ΔKE + ΔPE = Work

and see what happens.

I would like to point out that the given information is insufficient to accurately calculate the average power output of the engines. In order to calculate power, we need to know the amount of work done by the engines, which is dependent on factors such as the thrust produced by the engines and the time taken to reach cruising altitude. Additionally, neglecting friction may not accurately represent the real-world scenario. Without more information, it is not possible to accurately determine the average power output of the engines.

Related to Average Power Output for 260000 kg Jet at 9200m Altitude

What is the average power output for a 260000 kg jet at 9200m altitude?

The average power output for a 260000 kg jet at 9200m altitude can vary depending on the specific jet and its design. However, on average, a jet of this size at this altitude would have a power output of approximately 60,000 horsepower.

How is the average power output for a jet calculated?

The average power output for a jet is calculated by multiplying the thrust (in Newtons) by the speed of the jet (in meters per second).

Why does altitude affect the power output of a jet?

Altitude affects the power output of a jet because as altitude increases, the air density decreases. This means there is less air for the jet's engines to intake and use for combustion, resulting in a decrease in thrust and power output.

Are there any other factors that can affect the average power output for a jet at 9200m altitude?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the average power output for a jet at 9200m altitude. These include temperature, humidity, and the specific design and condition of the jet's engines.

Is the average power output for a jet at 9200m altitude different for different types of jets?

Yes, the average power output for a jet at 9200m altitude can vary depending on the type of jet. Factors such as engine design, weight, and aerodynamics can all play a role in the power output of a jet at a specific altitude.