Determining power output at different time intervals

In summary, the formula for instantaneous power is calculated using the force and the instantaneous velocity, while the formula for average power is calculated using the force and the average velocity over a given time interval.
cmkluza

Homework Statement

A 49.0 kg sprinter, starting from rest, runs 58.0 m in 9.90 s at constant acceleration.
What is the sprinter's power output at 1.90 s , 3.00 s , and 5.70 s ?

Homework Equations

##d=v_it + \frac{1}{2}at^2##
##F=ma##
##W=Fd##
##P=\frac{W}{t}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the acceleration from given data:
##58=(0)(9.9) + \frac{1}{2}(a)(9.9)^2 \longrightarrow a \approx 1.184 m/s^2##
Then I got the force:
##F=(49)(1.184) \approx 58 N##
Then I tried to calculate the distance traveled at different time intervals, starting with at ##t=1.90##:
##d=\frac{1}{2}(1.184)(1.9)^2 \approx 2.14##
Finally, I tried to get Work and then Power from that:
##W=Fd=(58)(2.14)=123.9 J \longrightarrow P=\frac{W}{s}=\frac{123.9}{1.9} \approx 65.2 W##
However, this is not correct, the correct answer is 130 W. What am I doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
cmkluza said:

Homework Statement

A 49.0 kg sprinter, starting from rest, runs 58.0 m in 9.90 s at constant acceleration.
What is the sprinter's power output at 1.90 s , 3.00 s , and 5.70 s ?

Homework Equations

##d=v_it + \frac{1}{2}at^2##
##F=ma##
##W=Fd##
##P=\frac{W}{t}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the acceleration from given data:
##58=(0)(9.9) + \frac{1}{2}(a)(9.9)^2 \longrightarrow a \approx 1.184 m/s^2##
Then I got the force:
##F=(49)(1.184) \approx 58 N##
Then I tried to calculate the distance traveled at different time intervals, starting with at ##t=1.90##:
##d=\frac{1}{2}(1.184)(1.9)^2 \approx 2.14##
Finally, I tried to get Work and then Power from that:
##W=Fd=(58)(2.14)=123.9 J \longrightarrow P=\frac{W}{s}=\frac{123.9}{1.9} \approx 65.2 W##
However, this is not correct, the correct answer is 130 W. What am I doing wrong here?
You need to use the formula Power = F v (force times velocity) and use the velocities at the given times. (Basically, what you calculated are average power over the given time intervals, while they want the instantaneous powers at the given times)

nrqed said:
You need to use the formula Power = F v (force times velocity) and use the velocities at the given times
Ah okay, so using ##v_f = v_i + at## I get ##v_f = (1.184)(1.9) \approx 2.25## and then ##P = Fv = 58(2.25) \approx 130 W## is correct. If anyone sees this, could they explain why this formula works when the previous one doesn't? Still trying to wrap my head around that.

cmkluza said:
Ah okay, so using ##v_f = v_i + at## I get ##v_f = (1.184)(1.9) \approx 2.25## and then ##P = Fv = 58(2.25) \approx 130 W## is correct. If anyone sees this, could they explain why this formula works when the previous one doesn't? Still trying to wrap my head around that.
Think about the equation ## P = F \frac{d}{t} ##, this is really ## P = F \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t} ##, this gives a power output between two instants separated by a time ## \Delta t## and while the object moved a distance ##\Delta x##. This involved a choice of two instants so one essentially calculates an average power output. If the velocity is constant, the power obtained this way is the same as the instantaneous power at every instant because the power output is constant. if the velocity is not constant, to get the instantaneous power output at a given instant one must take a limit:

$$P_{inst} = lim_{\Delta t \rightarrow 0} ~~ F ~\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t} = F \, v_{inst} $$

Likes cmkluza
nrqed said:
Think about the equation ## P = F \frac{d}{t} ##, this is really ## P = F \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t} ##, this gives a power output between two instants separated by a time ## \Delta t## and while the object moved a distance ##\Delta x##. This involved a choice of two instants so one essentially calculates an average power output. If the velocity is constant, the power obtained this way is the same as the instantaneous power at every instant because the power output is constant. if the velocity is not constant, to get the instantaneous power output at a given instant one must take a limit:

$$P_{inst} = lim_{\Delta t \rightarrow 0} ~~ F ~\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t} = F \, v_{inst} $$
Thanks a bunch, that really clarifies it!

Related to Determining power output at different time intervals

1. How is power output determined at different time intervals?

Power output at different time intervals can be determined by using a power meter or by calculating it using the formula: power = work/time. Work is measured in joules and time is measured in seconds.

2. What factors affect power output at different time intervals?

The main factors that affect power output at different time intervals are the type of activity being performed, the intensity of the activity, and the duration of the activity. Other factors such as individual fitness level, body composition, and environmental conditions can also have an impact on power output.

3. Why is it important to determine power output at different time intervals?

Determining power output at different time intervals can provide valuable information to athletes and researchers. It can help athletes track their progress and improve their training by identifying weaknesses and strengths. It can also aid in understanding the physiological demands of different activities and developing more effective training programs.

4. What are some methods for measuring power output at different time intervals?

There are several methods for measuring power output at different time intervals, including using a power meter, using a dynamometer, and using mathematical calculations. Power meters, such as those used in cycling, measure the force and speed of the movement to calculate power. Dynamometers, such as those used in weightlifting, measure the force applied during a movement. Mathematical calculations involve measuring work and time to calculate power.

5. How can power output at different time intervals be used in research?

Power output at different time intervals can be used in research to study the physiological responses and adaptations to different activities. It can also be used to compare the effectiveness of different training methods and to assess the performance of athletes. Additionally, it can be used to investigate the impact of various environmental and individual factors on power output.