Astrophysics: Passion or Practicality?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the individual's passion for astrophysics and their concern about whether pursuing it as a career will make a positive impact on the world. Other participants in the conversation offer advice to follow one's passions and not be limited by societal expectations, but also caution about the potential challenges of finding employment in a niche field. Ultimately, the individual decides to pursue astrophysics with the encouragement of others.
*FaerieLight*
Hello everyone,

The more I think about my future career path, the more I think I will end up in Astrophysics. I've had a great 'passion' for the subject since I was a kid, but I would like to do something that will make a difference to the world (positive, that is), and I cannot see how breaking new ground in astrophysics is at all useful to the world's community as a whole.

Do you think that I should dedicate myself to a subject that would benefit the world (like engineering), or should I just be an astrophysicist, simply because I like it a lot, and see where it takes me?

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
*FaerieLight* said:
I've had a great 'passion' for the subject since I was a kid, but I would like to do something that will make a difference to the world (positive, that is), and I cannot see how breaking new ground in astrophysics is at all useful to the world's community as a whole.

One thing about astrophysics is that you are forced to think very deeply about "what is time?" and "what is space?" and "what is gravity?" Once you think deep thoughts that gravitates your toward careers in which you have to think very deeply about "what is money?" and "what is risk?"

Think about "what is useful?"

Do you think that I should dedicate myself to a subject that would benefit the world (like engineering), or should I just be an astrophysicist, simply because I like it a lot, and see where it takes me?

It will help you if you find out where astrophysicists end up. Relatively few people that study astrophysics end up as tenured research professors.

Also the question of whether you are benefiting the world is a big question.

Hey *FaerieLight* and welcome to the forums.

One thing you should realize is that there are so many ways to help the world and a lot of those don't involve science or engineering.

Think about all the teachers out there that teach 30+ students each year. A lot of them won't get a simple thankyou or any recognition and you should be aware that this is the norm.

*FaerieLight* said:
I cannot see how breaking new ground in astrophysics is at all useful to the world's community as a whole.

One could say that contributing to the sum total of all human knowledge is one of the more important things one could do in this world.

Always, always, always, study what you love. Otherwise, life is just that little bit paler.

If you don't love what you do for a living, life is a slog. You don't have to actually "love" your job, but if you can take pride in your performance, you're way ahead of the game.

Study want you're drawn to, make connections, and keep your head up. Don't think of your education as a step-wise process. You don't go to college, get good grades, get a diploma, and *then* start looking for a job. That is a trap. You should be able to create opportunities for yourself while you are still in school IMO.

If you love astrophysics, go for it. As Jimi said "I'm the one that's got to die when it's my time to die, so let me live my life the way I want to." It is easy to let oneself be shackled by the expectations of others, so follow your dreams. If you fall short of your expectations, you'll still be 'way ahead of others who didn't bother to try.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

turbo said:
Study what you're drawn to, make connections, and keep your head up. Don't think of your education as a step-wise process. You don't go to college, get good grades, get a diploma, and *then* start looking for a job. That is a trap. You should be able to create opportunities for yourself while you are still in school IMO.

I agree with you turbo. Your opinion is atomic. What the world is heading towards is education without understanding and love for subject. One should be aware of what he wants. He must be aware of what others want from him. He must learn that when he is heading towards the goal of others perception, he must stop. A student must realize his love as soon as he opens his eyes to the world of competition.

Thank you everyone for your advice and well wishes! Now I feel much better about going with astrophysics, thanks to your encouragement.

I certainly agree that you should study what you love. But there are two problems you should watch out for 1) You stop loving it. 2) You can't get a job in it. I studied astrophysics and had both problems. Fortunately 2) wasn't a great disappointment because of 1)! Also, having a degree in astrophysics impresses potential employers, and you'll have many transferable skills with which to get those high-paying jobs that demand numeracy.

Related to Astrophysics: Passion or Practicality?

1. What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of astronomy that deals with the physical and chemical properties of celestial objects and phenomena in the universe. It combines principles of physics and astronomy to study everything from the formation of planets and stars to the behavior of galaxies and black holes.

2. Is astrophysics a passion-driven field or a practical one?

Astrophysics is a field that requires both passion and practicality. It requires a deep curiosity and fascination with the universe, as well as a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Without passion, it can be difficult to persevere through the challenging coursework and research, but without practical skills, it can be difficult to make meaningful contributions to the field.

3. What career options are available in astrophysics?

There are many career options available in astrophysics, including research positions at universities and government agencies, teaching positions at colleges and universities, and opportunities in the private sector, such as working for space exploration companies or science communication organizations. Some astrophysicists also pursue careers in data science, engineering, or software development.

4. What skills are necessary to succeed in astrophysics?

To succeed in astrophysics, one must have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. It is also important to have excellent critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Good communication skills are also essential for presenting research findings and collaborating with colleagues.

5. Can anyone study astrophysics?

While a strong background in math and science is necessary for studying astrophysics, anyone with a passion for the subject can pursue this field. There are many resources available for self-study, and many universities offer introductory courses for non-science majors. It is never too late to start learning about astrophysics and pursuing a career in this exciting field.