Astronomy and Astrophysics prefixes

• Thread starter Stavros Kiri
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a user's difficulty in selecting the "No Prefix" option in the Astronomy & Astrophysics forum. They mention that the option is available but gives an error when trying to use it. It is also mentioned that mentors have the ability to remove prefixes from threads. The conversation ends with a discussion about the forum's slow performance and an error in the javascript console, with one user stating that the forum works fine for them.
Stavros Kiri
How can I select 'No prefix' in the Astronomy & Astrophysics forum?
(It won't let me!)

Physics news on Phys.org
When creating a new thread there should be a "No Prefix" option at the very bottom of the dropdown menu.
(at least there is for me)

Drakkith said:
When creating a new thread there should be a "No Prefix" option at the very bottom of the dropdown menu.
(at least there is for me)
There is, even at the edit, but it gives an error. For other forums it works. Weird, ha?

Stavros Kiri said:
There is, even at the edit, but it gives an error. For other forums it works. Weird, ha?

Indeed. Paging @Greg Bernhardt!

[I'm using Chrome.] But I have seen threads in that forum without prefix, which means it's possible ...

Can mentors remove the prefix?

Stavros Kiri said:
Can mentors remove the prefix?

Yep. I just removed the prefix from your thread in the astronomy forum.

Drakkith said:
Yep. I just removed the prefix from your thread in the astronomy forum.
Thanks a lot Drakkith!

Likes dlgoff
Ok thanks. Forum extremely slow today. Why?

Anyone knows why the forum is very slow? (since this morning, on my side at least, on two different devices, both with Chrome)
Limited access, hard to even open the alerts, most of the time just shows me the forums, as if it's too busy or like when updating ...
[+error in the javascript console]

Nothing wrong on my end. Forum works just fine for me.

Related to Astronomy and Astrophysics prefixes

1. What is the difference between "astro-" and "aero-" in astronomy and astrophysics?

The prefix "astro-" refers to objects and phenomena related to space and the universe, such as stars, planets, galaxies, and cosmic events. On the other hand, the prefix "aero-" is used to describe objects and phenomena related to the Earth's atmosphere, such as clouds, weather, and air pollution. Therefore, "astro-" and "aero-" have different meanings and are used in different contexts in astronomy and astrophysics.

2. Can the prefix "cosmo-" be used interchangeably with "astro-" and "aero-"?

No, the prefix "cosmo-" has a different meaning and is not interchangeable with "astro-" or "aero-" in astronomy and astrophysics. "Cosmo-" refers to the entire universe as a whole, including all matter, energy, and space-time. It is often used in terms like "cosmology" and "cosmogony" to study the origin and evolution of the universe.

3. What does the prefix "astro-" mean in the context of "astrobiology"?

In the field of astrobiology, the prefix "astro-" refers to the study of life in the universe beyond Earth. It combines the words "astronomy" and "biology" to explore the possibility of life on other planets, moons, and celestial bodies, as well as the origins and conditions necessary for life to exist in the cosmos.

4. Is there a prefix that specifically refers to the study of stars?

Yes, the prefix "stellar-" is often used to describe objects and phenomena related to stars, such as "stellar evolution" and "stellar atmosphere." It is derived from the Latin word "stella," meaning star, and is commonly used in astronomy and astrophysics to indicate a focus on stars.

5. What is the significance of the prefix "cosmo-" in the word "cosmonaut"?

The prefix "cosmo-" in "cosmonaut" refers to the idea of traveling and exploring the cosmos, or the universe. A cosmonaut is a person who is trained to travel and work in space, typically as a member of a Russian or Soviet space mission. The word is derived from the Greek word "kosmos," meaning order or world, and the suffix "-naut," meaning sailor or traveler.