Are trolls a prevalent thing on Physics Forums?

• Thread starter Cha0t1c
  • Start date
In summary, there are generally few trolls on the site. However, @chemisttree's answer was ironic and may have been trolling.
Cha0t1c
This is only my second day here and I've already encountered a couple of trolls...Are there generally many trolls on the site or was it a coincidence?
I certainly hope it is the latter...I like physics forums and I don't want it to be corrupted by trolls!

Physics news on Phys.org
We usually remove trolling posts, if reported, so - if true - it is a coincidence. You have complaint being trolled on a thread titled Anti-viral Activity of Anise Extract.

The post and your answer has been removed, although I hesitated to do so. @chemisttree 's answer was rather ironic than it was trolling. What do you expect by such an invitation? Anise against viruses? This is ridiculous in my opinion - scientific paper or not. I accepted your report as you specifically have asked for the effects of a certain substance and gave a serious reference. However, medical publications in general are a topic on its own, especially in the realm of a current event.

We are normally intellectual people here, so sarcasm and irony is part of our nature. This is different from trolling. I'm even convinced that @chemisttree was thinking you were the troll.

Likes Evo, phinds, russ_watters and 1 other person
Cha0t1c said:
This is only my second day here and I've already encountered a couple of trolls...Are there generally many trolls on the site or was it a coincidence?
I certainly hope it is the latter...I like physics forums and I don't want it to be corrupted by trolls!

Trolls are few and far between here. First because they generally can tell by reading the PF rules that they won't be tolerated, and second because they are usually reported to the Mentors quickly and dealt with quickly.

And sometimes they self report (not intentially I would guess...) Your posts are now under review...

Cha0t1c said:
I didn't say anywhere in my post that other people are not doing the same things that I do. However, not all people do these things, and that's the difference between brilliant engineers and average engineers...
I don't know man, but I think there's something wrong with your numbers here...I've read in many many places that software engineering salary could get much much higher than that figure of yours. Plus, I've asked multiple people who are working in the field about the salary range and their response was that it could go well beyond $100K for good developers. So please, could you provide a legitimate source to support your claim?

fresh_42 said:
We usually remove trolling posts, if reported, so - if true - it is a coincidence. You have complaint being trolled on a thread titled Anti-viral Activity of Anise Extract.

The post and your answer has been removed, although I hesitated to do so. @chemisttree 's answer was rather ironic than it was trolling. What do you expect by such an invitation? Anise against viruses? This is ridiculous in my opinion - scientific paper or not. I accepted your report as you specifically have asked for the effects of a certain substance and gave a serious reference. However, medical publications in general are a topic on its own, especially in the realm of a current event.

Well bro, you guys misunderstood my question...This is a topic on phytotherapy and it is a legitimate field in biological sciences. I was taught about those stuff in school and my question was about it.

Cha0t1c said:
Well bro, you guys misunderstood my question
Is it your nature to stumble into new places and call PhD level intellects "bro" (fresh, not me)? Is that how you go into job interviews, and preface your statements of purpose for undergraduate and graduate school applications?

Likes cnh1995, phinds and russ_watters
berkeman said:
Is it your nature to stumble into new places and call PhD level intellects "bro" (fresh, not me)? Is that how you go into job interviews and preface your statements of purpose for undergraduate and graduate school applications?
Usually when posting online people tend to be more casual when addressing each other...I am used to it this way

Cha0t1c said:
Usually when posting online people tend to be more casual when addressing each other...I am used to it this way
And we usually are also, although there are a number of very advanced folks here that I would never call "bro". But whatever.

I think we've addressed the question you started this Feedback thread with -- no, we do not tolerate trolls here. If you see a poster/post that you think is trolling, please click the Report link in the post to let the Mentors know about it so we can try our best to respond. Much as others have clicked the Report link on your post at the top of this thread. :smile:

The PF can be a great resource for you. Please feel free to send me a private message (PM) if you have further concerns or questions. (click on my avatar and "Start a conversation") We are definitely here to help.

Likes Evo and Cha0t1c
Cha0t1c said:
How much time have you spent on internet forums? In my experience, trolling is pretty rare on PF compared to other places, and we work hard to make it that way -- more frequently, the complaints are about heavy-handed moderation.

But what we do give on PF (looking at your first few posts...) is hard, blunt feedback. Evidently that grates on you, but ask yourself which will be more helpful: hard, blunt feedback or cheerleading bad decisions?
Cha0t1c said:
You can't have both, so pick one:
1. A forum where people act professionally and ask intelligent questions of experts and get quality answers (and accept a little hand slap if the question's quality isn't great).
2. A forum where people call each other "bro".

Likes Klystron, MikeeMiracle, Evo and 7 others
?
Cha0t1c said:
??

Likes russ_watters
Cha0t1c said:
So many members on this forum choose a pseudonym or some personally chosen username for privacy purposes. Often we do not know their ages, genders, level of majority nor juvenility, level of education. Such cheap casually forms of address such as "bro'" or "dude" or "babe" should be kept for people you met and know directly in real life outside of any online forum, when in the appropriate setting. Maybe since we are all as like, dressed the same way while participating on the forum, we might call each other "Comrade"?

Likes Klystron, Wrichik Basu and fresh_42
russ_watters said:
How much time have you spent on internet forums? In my experience, trolling is pretty rare on PF compared to other places, and we work hard to make it that way -- more frequently, the complaints are about heavy-handed moderation.

But what we do give on PF (looking at your first few posts...) is hard, blunt feedback. Evidently that grates on you, but ask yourself which will be more helpful: hard, blunt feedback or cheerleading bad decisions?

You can't have both, so pick one:
1. A forum where people act professionally and ask intelligent questions of experts and get quality answers (and accept a little hand slap if the question's quality isn't great).
2. A forum where people call each other "bro".
Of course I'll choose the first, and I indeed find PhysicsForums to be a place where I find high quality answers to my questions...A good example is my first post here on this forum, people were helpful and the answers were respectful.

I would like to apologise for any misunderstandings that could have happened today...I didn't know the rules to this forum and I got frustrated by being told that one of my posts was flagged as inappropriate.

Thanks for being understanding of my situation.

Likes berkeman, Wrichik Basu and Greg Bernhardt
Cha0t1c said:
Thanks for being understanding of my situation.
You're welcome. Culture shock on PF is common for newcomers.

P.S. I hope you consider it unusually deferential that a post that offended you was removed despite the moderator not really agreeing that it was offensive!

Likes Adesh, cnh1995, jedishrfu and 2 others
russ_watters said:
You're welcome. Culture shock on PF is common for newcomers.
I am active on Quora and on Reddit.
On Quora, it is usually easier to guess the rules, or in other words you can't be impolite because most people there have avatars and credentials, however Reddit is the complete opposite, I remember calling someone sir once and they told me to never do it. So yeah, it was indeed a culture shock to come here from Reddit.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
symbolipoint said:
we might call each other "Comrade"?
Aaargh, no, that's communist! We don't allow politics here. :wink: :biggrin:

Likes Wrichik Basu
Wow! I’m a troll? My comment regarding the elderberry syrup wasn’t meant to be negative in any way. I often respond this way to have a poster think about their problem in a different way. Here is something from my own medicine cabinet.
image.jpg

Likes morrobay and jedishrfu
symbolipoint said:
we might call each other "Comrade"?

Nyet, tovarich.

• Haha
Likes strangerep

Related to Are trolls a prevalent thing on Physics Forums?

1. Are trolls a prevalent thing on Physics Forums?

Yes, unfortunately trolls are a common occurrence on Physics Forums, as they are on many online platforms. Trolls are individuals who deliberately post inflammatory or off-topic messages in order to provoke a reaction or disrupt the conversation.

2. Why do trolls target Physics Forums?

Trolls target Physics Forums because it is a popular and reputable platform for discussing scientific topics. Trolls often seek attention and validation for their disruptive behavior, and targeting a well-respected forum can give them a sense of power and control.

3. What are the effects of trolls on Physics Forums?

The effects of trolls on Physics Forums can range from minor disruptions to more serious consequences. Trolls can derail discussions, spread misinformation, and create a negative atmosphere for genuine members. In extreme cases, trolls can also cause harm to individuals by cyberbullying or spreading hate speech.

4. How does Physics Forums handle trolls?

Physics Forums has a team of moderators who actively monitor and remove troll posts. They also have a set of community guidelines that members are expected to follow, and any violations can result in a warning or ban. However, it is important for members to also report any troll behavior they encounter to help keep the forum a safe and productive space.

5. How can I avoid engaging with trolls on Physics Forums?

The best way to avoid engaging with trolls on Physics Forums is to ignore them and not give them the attention they seek. Do not respond to their posts or engage in arguments with them. Instead, focus on constructive discussions with genuine members and report any troll behavior to the moderators.