Are There Flexible Graduate Programs for Nanofabrication Research?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a "flexible" graduate program that allows for nanofabrication research. The speaker is interested in programs that are not limited to just physics or engineering, but also allow for collaboration with other departments. They mention the Applied Physics program at Rice University as an example and inquire about other programs with a similar emphasis. The advice given is to research schools with professors who have interests in the speaker's area of interest and to contact them for further information.
Pounder
Hi all,

I was wondering if you had any advice as to "flexible" graduate programs that have do nanofabrication research. Nanofabrication doesn't fit neatly into the physics or engineering categories, so I would like to find a program that is flexible enough to allow me to perhaps do physics-related research in other departments that perhaps have better resources in that area than the physics department, while staying in the physics department. For example, one program that appeals to me is the Applied Physics program at Rice University (http://rqi.rice.edu/academics/graduate/graduate.php).

I imagine that most physics departments would try to do something like this, for the sake of "inter-departmental collaboration", but are do you know of any departments with programs that have this special emphasis?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends what you mean by "flexible." Most schools have a variety of requirements for a degree such as a certain amount of time on campus, class work, research, a thesis, etc. And to do research in a given topic as a student will almost certainly require you to fit into some profs research program.

First find schools where the profs do work on your interest. The following website might help.

http://arxiv.org/

Google up possible schools and see what their course calendars look like. Profs will often give helpful advice over email to prospective students. Find out if they have the "flexible" nature you are looking for. Find out if they have space for you in the time you are interested in joining. If a prof already has nine students you probably don't want to be number ten.

Related to Are There Flexible Graduate Programs for Nanofabrication Research?

1. What is a flexible graduate program?

A flexible graduate program is a type of advanced degree program that offers students the ability to customize their coursework and schedule to fit their individual needs and goals. This may include part-time or online options, as well as the ability to choose specific courses or areas of focus within the program.

2. What are the benefits of a flexible graduate program?

A flexible graduate program allows students to pursue their education while also balancing other commitments, such as work or family responsibilities. It also provides the opportunity to tailor the program to their specific interests and career goals, making it a more personalized and valuable experience.

3. How does a flexible graduate program differ from a traditional program?

A traditional graduate program typically follows a set curriculum and schedule, whereas a flexible program offers more options for students to choose from. This can include the ability to take classes at different times or locations, or to complete the program at a slower or faster pace.

4. Are there any limitations to a flexible graduate program?

While a flexible graduate program offers more options and convenience, there may be some limitations in terms of course availability or scheduling conflicts. It is important for students to carefully plan their course selections and communicate with their advisor to ensure they can meet all program requirements.

5. How can I determine if a flexible graduate program is right for me?

If you are considering a flexible graduate program, it is important to assess your personal and professional goals, as well as your ability to balance your commitments. Additionally, researching the specific program and its offerings, as well as speaking with current or former students, can help you determine if it is the right fit for you.