Are theoretical scientists blinded by scifi?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether theoretical scientists may be blinded by their love for science fiction and how some highly speculative theories are being studied as real science. There is a debate on whether this is hindering real scientific progress and whether popular science watering down of these theories may contribute to this perception. Some argue that science fiction can be beneficial for the mind, while others prefer more realistic science. The original poster has left the conversation.
nonlocal
I didn't know where to post, but it's kind of a "Hmmm" question so I took a chance of posting this in the philosophy section, if a better section for this question exist on this forum I hope admins move it there.

My question is: you feel theorethical scientists might be blinded by their interest in scifi?
It seems more and more crazy theories and speculations are being studied as "real" science without any evidence pointing towards it.
String theory, many worlds interpretation, virtual realities, simulated consciousness, wormholes, time travel etc.
I know sometimes speculative science is the seed of a good scifi story, but it seems some famous physicist really buy into a lot of these HIGHLY speculative hypothesises.

You think some might be a little blinded by their scifi theories and let it get in the way of REAL science?

share your views:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Are theoretical physicists blinded by scifi? NO!

Does the popular science watering down of such theories give the impression that theoretical physicists are blinded by scifi? Yes, probably.

Likes Lren Zvsm
Oh I hope so and I hope they continue to be.

SciFi is good brain food.

I remember from a previous thread in GD that many of the members here seemed to really dislike the more fantastic SciFi and preferred HardSciFi, the harder the better (like they were ordering whiskey in a dirty glass or something ;-p).

Since the OP's gone, I see no need to keep this thread open.

Related to Are theoretical scientists blinded by scifi?

1. Are theoretical scientists influenced by science fiction when conducting research?

It is possible for some theoretical scientists to be influenced by science fiction in their research, but it is not a common occurrence. Most scientists are trained to approach research with objectivity and rely on evidence-based methods.

2. Does science fiction have any impact on the theories and hypotheses proposed by theoretical scientists?

In some cases, science fiction may inspire theoretical scientists to explore new ideas and possibilities, but it does not directly impact the validity of their theories and hypotheses. Theoretical scientists conduct extensive research and testing to support their ideas.

3. Is it possible for theoretical scientists to distinguish between science fiction and real scientific concepts?

Yes, theoretical scientists are trained to critically evaluate information and distinguish between speculative concepts presented in science fiction and established scientific theories and concepts. They base their work on empirical evidence and peer-reviewed research.

4. Do theoretical scientists use science fiction as a source of inspiration for their work?

While some theoretical scientists may draw inspiration from science fiction, it is not a reliable or credible source for their work. Theoretical scientists rely on established scientific principles and methodologies to develop their theories and hypotheses.

5. Is it possible for science fiction to hinder the progress of theoretical science?

Science fiction may present unrealistic or exaggerated concepts that could potentially hinder the progress of theoretical science by creating false expectations or leading to incorrect assumptions. However, theoretical scientists are trained to evaluate information critically and are not easily swayed by speculative ideas.