Are my GRE scores acceptable for PhD in Optics?

In summary, Sharvari from India is interested in pursuing a PhD in quantum and non-linear optics and is looking for active discussions on grad school forums. She has a low verbal score on her GRE (142V), but a high quant score (168Q), and a 4.0 AWA score. She is concerned about how this may affect her admission to schools such as Rochester, UCF, and Arizona, which have strong optics labs. She also has a GPA of 8.1/10 and is taking the TOEFL this Saturday. She is hoping to get a score above 105/120 and is wondering how important this test is for demonstrating her English proficiency. She is particularly interested in the admission procedure for international students
Sharvari
Hello Everyone!
I am Sharvari from India, interested in quantum and non linear optics and wish to pursue PhD in this domain. I am looking forward to active discussion on the grad school discussion forum as I will be applying for grad schools this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am an International Student applying in the US for graduate schools this year.
I got 310 in General GRE - 142V (17 percentile), 168Q (94 percentile) and 4.0 AWA (60 percentile).
My undergraduate CGPA is 8.1/10
My verbal score is quite low. Will this affect my admission in Universities like Rochester, UCF, Arizona as these are the places offering best labs in optics?
How important is Verbal score?
Should I reconsider applying to universities like university of Maryland just because of my low GRE score?

Hi Sharvari! I'm currently an undergrad in the optics program at the University of Arizona. If you'd like, I can try to ask around and see what the professors and/or grad students have to say. However, I can't imagine it would hurt you to go ahead and apply to all the schools you are hoping to get into.

Likes DS2C and S.G. Janssens
Sharvari said:
I got 310 in General GRE - 142V (17 percentile), 168Q (94 percentile) and 4.0 AWA (60 percentile).
Although you have a high score on the Quant. Reasoning section, your scores on the Verbal Reasoning and Analytical Writing parts are very low, which you mentioned.

Sharvari said:
My undergraduate CGPA is 8.1/10
A graduate school would also be interested in your GPA in your major area.
Sharvari said:
Will this affect my admission in Universities like Rochester, UCF, Arizona
I would think that your VR and AW scores would cause the admissions people at these schools to question your ability to succeed in their programs, all of which are taught in English. I don't think it would hurt to apply, but if you aren't accepted, you shouldn't be surprised.

Last edited:
Drakkith said:
Hi Sharvari! I'm currently an undergrad in the optics program at the University of Arizona. If you'd like, I can try to ask around and see what the professors and/or grad students have to say. However, I can't imagine it would hurt you to go ahead and apply to all the schools you are hoping to get into.
It would be really helpful if you could tell me about the admission procedure for international students in University of Arizona.
Especially based on cutoffs for Verbal section of GRE and TOEFL and others.

Mark44 said:
Although you have a high score on the Quant. Reasoning section, your scores on the Verbal Reasoning and Analytical Writing parts are very low, which you mentioned.

A graduate school would also be interested in your GPA in your major area.
I would think that your VR and AW scores would cause the admissions people at these schools to question your ability to succeed in their programs, all of which are taught in English. I don't think it would hurt to apply, but if you aren't accepted, you shouldn't be surprised.

My GPA in Physics courses is 7.9
I will be giving my TOEFL this Saturday.
I am hoping to get more than 105/120 in it.
Won't TOEFL test my ability to read, comprehend and speak in English?

Sharvari said:
It would be really helpful if you could tell me how the admission procedure is in University of Arizona.
Especially based on cutoffs for Verbal section of GRE and TOEFL and others.

I'll see what I can do. If you don't hear from me in a few days, feel free to send me a private message.

Likes S.G. Janssens and Sharvari

Related to Are my GRE scores acceptable for PhD in Optics?

1. What is the minimum GRE score required for a PhD in Optics?

The minimum GRE score required for a PhD in Optics varies depending on the university and program. However, most universities require a combined score of at least 300 in the verbal and quantitative sections and a score of 3.5 or higher in the analytical writing section.

2. Will a low GRE score affect my chances of getting into a PhD program in Optics?

While a high GRE score can strengthen your application, a low score does not necessarily disqualify you from getting into a PhD program in Optics. Admissions committees also take into consideration other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and statement of purpose.

3. Are GRE scores the only factor considered for admission into a PhD program in Optics?

No, GRE scores are not the only factor considered for admission into a PhD program in Optics. Admissions committees also look at other aspects of your application such as your undergraduate and graduate coursework, research experience, letters of recommendation, and statement of purpose.

4. Can I retake the GRE if I am not satisfied with my scores?

Yes, you can retake the GRE if you are not satisfied with your scores. However, keep in mind that some universities may only consider your highest score while others may consider all of your scores. It is important to check with the specific program you are applying to for their policy on GRE scores.

5. Do I need to take the GRE subject test for a PhD in Optics?

The GRE subject test is not typically required for a PhD in Optics. However, some programs may recommend or prefer that you take the subject test to demonstrate your knowledge in the field. It is important to check with the specific program you are applying to for their requirements.