Are Exams the Only Measure of a Good Engineer?

• Thread starter GentBinaku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee Year
In summary, the individual has recently failed the second year of their Electrical Engineering program and is struggling with motivation and anxiety during exams. They are also concerned about not being as good of an engineer as their peers who have finished exams. However, it is noted that exams do not necessarily make a good engineer and that outside stresses may have played a role in the individual's failure. The individual is encouraged to reflect on what went wrong and seek help if needed, and to not give up on their passion for electrical engineering. It is also mentioned that everyone progresses at their own pace and that exams only make for a good GPA, not a good engineer.
GentBinaku
Hello My name Is Gent Binaku

If you think this thread is out of boundaries feel free to delete it

Recently I failed the second year of Electrical Engineering and really have no motivation to go through
in my university the evaluation system is a bit different and in my mind is really unproductive and due to that system I have re take all of my courses and really need some help

I love electrical engineering and feel very comfortable but the thing is i have a lot of anxieties during exam(E.X There was a question in my math class and did the wrong integral and so on)

I know it's my fault and should really grow a pair and study my *** off but the problem is that I am afraid when i finish i won't be that good a engineer as those friends who finished exams

So my question as we are a EE forum

Do exams make a good engineer ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think its necessarily so. It's just a selection procedure. But its the most efficient selection process available in society.

As you said, you love electrical engineering and feel very comfortable; I guess failing was just an accident. And perhaps this happened due to outside stresses, as you mentioned.

It's silly to think that you won't be a better engineer than your friends just because they finish their degree earlier than you. Being better doesn't really demands being earlier.

I think you should reflect on what went wrong with you. Re-taking all courses is certainly an added stress. But still you should look on the positive side. Now you got another chance to make everything right, don't waste your time in frustration. If anxiety is bothering you too much, seek medical help. Jump back to study.

Just re-start!

In the end, I repeat your own words
GentBinaku said:
I love electrical engineering and feel very comfortable.
So there is no reason to give up.

Best of luck!

Figure out what pressures were making you stressed to the point that you fail exams and address that, then go through the appeal process to get yourself back in classes.

Stressing during exams happens even when you know the material well (I stressed so much in a statics exam that I sweated on the paper and nearly ruined my work...ew!)...I'm 23 and still finishing up my BS, I'm happy with where I am in life and you should be too, not everyone works at the same pace.

Exams DO NOT make a good engineer...they just make for a good GPA. If you can bring yourself through this readmission process and finish engineering school, well it's one step to becoming a better engineer.

Related to Are Exams the Only Measure of a Good Engineer?

1. Why did I fail my second year in EE?

There could be various reasons for failing your second year in EE. Some common reasons include lack of understanding of the subject, inadequate preparation for exams, or personal issues that affected your academic performance. It is important to identify the specific reasons for your failure in order to address them and improve in the future.

2. Can I still pursue a career in EE after failing the second year?

Yes, you can still pursue a career in EE after failing the second year. Failing a single year does not define your entire academic journey. It is important to learn from your mistakes and work hard to improve in the following years. You can also explore alternative paths such as internships or certifications to gain practical experience in the field.

3. Will my failed grades in the second year affect my job prospects?

Your grades in the second year may have some impact on your job prospects, but they are not the only factor that employers consider. Many companies look at other factors such as your overall academic performance, relevant skills and experience, and personal qualities. It is important to focus on improving your grades and showcasing your strengths to potential employers.

4. Should I retake the second year or continue to the third year?

This decision ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and goals. If you feel that you have a good understanding of the concepts covered in the second year and are confident in your ability to catch up, you may choose to continue to the third year. However, if you feel that you need to strengthen your foundation in order to succeed in the upcoming years, retaking the second year may be a better option.

5. How can I avoid failing again in the future?

To avoid failing in the future, it is important to identify the specific areas where you struggled and address them accordingly. This may involve seeking help from professors or tutors, developing better study habits, and staying organized and on top of your coursework. It is also important to take care of your mental and physical well-being, as they can greatly impact your academic performance.