Applying to universities - is math/physics degree an overkill?

In summary, the conversation discusses the benefits and challenges of pursuing a math/physics program. The speaker agrees that this type of program is a good choice for those who enjoy both subjects. However, they also mention that it can be demanding, especially for those with a slower thinking process. Others in the conversation share their experiences with similar programs and mention that after the first year, there is often overlap between math and physics courses which can make them easier. The conversation also touches on the topic of IQ and its relevance in pursuing this type of program.
ode_to_joy
I have been told that, if I like both math and physics then I should do a math/physics programme, and I certainly agree with that.
However, it seems like math/physic degree is a bit challenging. Especially considering the fact that my thinking process is a lot slower than anyone else. (My IQ is approxiamately 109, but having a low IQ would not deter someone from pursuing math/physics eh?) I looked at an example schedule and it seems like I have to take three math courses and two physics every semester.
Has anyone ever done a math/physics programme? (Not a double degree) How did you handle this programme?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm in an undergraduate program that's something like a math/physics program. It's focused on nanoscience, but it essentially translates into taking a 100-120% courseload every semester with all physics/math courses (and a little chemistry thrown in too).

Honestly, it's not that bad. After first year, you get a lot of overlap between the math and physics courses, which makes them much easier. For example, in second year (which I'm currently in), you'll study 3D calculus - gradient, divergence, curl, etc - and that gets used in electrodynamics, classical mechanics, and calculus, which is three of your courses right there. Differential Equations also has a lot of overlaps.

So basically, if you enjoy mathematics, then you should be fine. The physics courses are often a contextualization of the math courses.

IQ is only good for determining if someone has a disability. It isn't that reliable for assessing a person's "intelligence," a word not easily defined anyway. If you want to do math and physics, do it, but be aware that math becomes very different in the upper division, with heavy reliance on proof rather than calculation. You may yet discover math isn't your cup of tea.

I will be starting a similar program in a months time but my university requires that I also take an English course each semester. All Canadian Universities seem to have this requirement. Is it the same in the States?

This is definitely not true of all Canadian universities. I am in an undergraduate math program at a mid sized Canadian university and I've never had to take an english class. I needed two semesters of any humanities class but that's the closest I've had to having to take english.

Related to Applying to universities - is math/physics degree an overkill?

1. Is a math/physics degree necessary for applying to universities?

No, a math/physics degree is not necessary for applying to universities. Many universities offer a wide range of majors and do not require a specific degree for admission.

2. Will having a math/physics degree give me an advantage in the application process?

Having a math/physics degree may give you an advantage in the application process, as it demonstrates strong analytical and problem-solving skills. However, it is not the only factor considered in university admissions.

3. Are there any disadvantages to having a math/physics degree when applying to universities?

Having a math/physics degree may not be a disadvantage, but it is important to research the specific requirements and expectations of the universities you are applying to. Some universities may prioritize certain majors or have different admissions criteria.

4. Are there any alternative degrees that may be more beneficial for university applications?

There are many alternative degrees that may be beneficial for university applications, such as engineering, computer science, or economics. It is important to choose a degree that aligns with your interests and strengths.

5. How can I make my math/physics degree stand out in my university application?

To make your math/physics degree stand out in your university application, you can highlight any relevant coursework, research experience, or extracurricular activities related to the field. You can also emphasize how your degree has helped you develop important skills such as critical thinking and problem-solving.