Applying for an REU - "Mathematical Background"

• Thread starter MostlyHarmless
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reu
In summary, the speaker is working on their applications for summer REUs in math. They have all the necessary documents but are struggling with a personal statement that asks for a page on their "mathematical background." The speaker wonders if this means simply listing their coursework or if they should discuss their motivation for studying math or a specific area of interest.
MostlyHarmless
I'm working on my applications for summer REUs (math). I've got my recommendations, my CV, a couple of cover letters, various personal statements, but there is one personal statement giving problems. It asks me to write about a page detailing, among other things, my "mathematical background." What does that mean? Surely they don't want another list of my coursework. They've got 2 already. Should I discuss why I got into math? Should I discuss a particular area of interest?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just like you said you may enter the data to questions such as
What all courses you have enrolled ?
Why did you enroll in those topics?
What all topics do you like and why?

Related to Applying for an REU - "Mathematical Background"

1. What is an REU?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) is a competitive, paid research program for undergraduate students to gain hands-on experience in a specific field of study, such as mathematics. It is typically offered by universities and research institutions during the summer.

2. How can I apply for an REU in mathematics?

To apply for an REU in mathematics, you will need to find a program that aligns with your research interests and eligibility criteria. The application process may vary, but it typically involves submitting an online application, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. It is important to carefully follow the instructions and deadlines provided by the program.

3. What is the required mathematical background for an REU in mathematics?

The required mathematical background for an REU in mathematics will vary depending on the specific program. However, most programs typically require students to have completed at least one year of calculus and some courses in linear algebra and differential equations. Some programs may also have additional requirements, such as courses in abstract algebra, real analysis, or computer science.

4. Can I apply for an REU in mathematics if I am not a mathematics major?

Yes, many REU programs welcome students from a variety of majors, as long as they have a strong interest in mathematics and meet the program's eligibility criteria. However, having a solid foundation in mathematics coursework is still important for a successful application.

5. What can I expect from an REU in mathematics?

An REU in mathematics typically involves working on a research project under the guidance of a faculty mentor and collaborating with other students in the program. You will also have the opportunity to attend seminars, workshops, and networking events to enhance your knowledge and skills. At the end of the program, you may be expected to present your research findings at a conference or submit a written report.