Applied physics graduate school prep

In summary, the conversation revolves around exploring different options for an undergraduate physics education and considering the impact of various experiences on future academic pursuits. The topics discussed include the value of repeating an advanced lab class, the benefits of taking a year off for work or research, the relevance of engineering courses for graduate school, and alternative ways to gain independent research skills. The conversation also touches on the potential challenges of pursuing a graduate degree in a field with no prior coursework.
flemmyd
My questions are rather unfocused... I don't really know if they're really questions yet, but chime in as much as possible. I'm just tossing ideas around here.

1. I think all physics programs offer an advance lab class. they offer a range of experiments and you pick some to repeat. Is this class worth taking more then once? It feels almost like an introduction to research in that you aren't given a lot of hand holding and the experiments are not confined to 4-8 hours periods or whatever. they give you a key to the lab and you work on a project by yourself. and you have to give a presentation on it and what not. was it a key experience in your undergraduate physics education?

2. I'm planning on taking a year off, but I don't quite know what to do with it just yet. I know a lot of people work--how has that worked out for you? I know some people just do it for the money, but intellectually, how have you found it? did it help focus you for graduate school, researach topic wise? what about spending time as a post-bacc doing research somewhere? I'd love to use this as an excuse to travel and see other countries but still doing something productive. Or taking a 5th year and a lighter course load to focus on research?
Also, is there a point when doing so much research as an undergrad simply doesn't help anymore? I'd be working with the same professor for 3 years, but would that really help me getting admission/fellowships and what not?
What if i just wanted to dick around and surf/play music/relax?

3. If I want to do engr graduate school, is it standard to take engr classes first? Like, if i wanted to do semiconductor physics, it would obviously be helpful to take several semiconductor classes, but as a physics major, would not having taken them kill my chances of getting into elec engr graduate school for example?

4. part of what I am looking at graduate school is basically a boot camp on how to truly work independently on a long term project. If i decide graduate school isn't right for me, are there other areas I could go to get this kind of training?

5. this is related to number 3; how easy is to to get into an area you have no coursework in? Say I realize I am interested in numerical analysis or signal processing, but i haven't taken a class on it. Are PIs hesitant about accepting graduate students how have no experience in said field?

Physics news on Phys.org
no one has ANY ideas on these topics? I'm not looking for answers. I'm just looking for other people's opinions/input. Trying to bounce some ideas off the wall...

Related to Applied physics graduate school prep

1. What is the typical academic background required for admission to an applied physics graduate program?

Most applied physics graduate programs require a bachelor's degree in physics or a closely related field such as engineering, mathematics, or chemistry. Some programs may also consider applicants with a strong background in other physical sciences.

2. What types of research opportunities are available for students in an applied physics graduate program?

Applied physics graduate programs offer a wide range of research opportunities in various areas such as materials science, optics, nanotechnology, biophysics, and renewable energy. Students may have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects in collaboration with faculty, industry partners, or national laboratories.

3. What skills and qualities are important for success in an applied physics graduate program?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, proficiency in programming and data analysis, and a solid understanding of mathematical and physical principles are crucial for success in an applied physics graduate program. Additionally, curiosity, creativity, and the ability to work independently and in teams are highly valued.

4. How can I prepare for the rigorous coursework in an applied physics graduate program?

To prepare for the coursework in an applied physics graduate program, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. It may also be helpful to review concepts in mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. Some programs may also offer pre-semester or summer courses to help students brush up on their skills.

5. What are some tips for the application process for an applied physics graduate program?

To have a competitive application for an applied physics graduate program, it is important to have strong letters of recommendation, a well-written personal statement, and a high GPA in relevant coursework. It can also be beneficial to have research experience and to reach out to potential faculty mentors to express interest in their research. It is also recommended to apply to multiple programs to increase your chances of acceptance.