Applied and Computational Math (MS) @ RIT, Program Opinion

In summary, the Applied and Computational Math (MS) program at RIT is an interdisciplinary program that combines advanced math courses with computer science and statistics courses. Graduates of the program have a wide range of job opportunities in industries such as finance, healthcare, technology, and government. RIT's program stands out from others due to its focus on both theoretical and practical applications of mathematics and offers a variety of elective courses for customization. While a strong math background is beneficial, it is not required and the program offers courses for skill strengthening. Research and internship opportunities are also available through partnerships with industry leaders and research institutions.
gitm
Hi,

I got admit to RIT's http://www.rit.edu/programs/applied-and-computational-mathematics.(I am an international student).

The course Structure is as follows :
(with options either in : Discrete Math/ Dynamical systems/ scientific Computing)

First Year
  • MATH-611 Numerical Analysis 3
  • MATH-651 Combinatorics and Graph Theory I 3
  • MATH-671 Number Theory 3
  • MATH-601 Methods of Applied Mathematics 3
  • MATH-605 Stochastic Processes 3
  • MATH-652 Combinatorics and Graph Theory II 3
Second Year

• MATH-771 Mathematics of Cryptography 3
  • Electives 6
  • MATH-790 Thesis 9
Total Semester Credit Hours : 36

I have bachelor's degree in Computer Science and I wish to seek career in Machine learning or Artificial Intelligence in general, Operational research being my second choice. I do have interest in mathematics and designing/working on models(simulation).

So my questions are,
  • From the job/career perspective, is this program marketable? (not limited to USA)
  • If not, are the course credits transferable to Computer Science (or related) Master's program?
  • and If not that either, which further academic programs I can channel through this program, to achieve my goal? (like M.S. or Ph.Ds .. though I am bit concern/nervous about spending 3-5 yrs on Ph.D )

Based on some of the forum topics, for this program (one from PF) the job opportunities are very narrow for lesser schools.

I am aware that this post is bit off subject ( or in the wrong forum entirely) but I couldn't find any viable information (except one from here) on the internet and neither do I have many friends with the advance degrees to ask for an opinion.

I would greatly appreciate your help. Please respond or guide me to right information as I have to make my decision within few weeks.
I'll be happy to elaborate, if any information is insufficient.

Also, if possible, please shed some light on the quality and various other metrics (like professors, research work, internship opps. etc) of this program.

Thanks for spending your time to read my somewhat longer post. I hope to get some quality response.

Regards,
CG.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear CG,

Congratulations on your acceptance to RIT's Applied and Computational Mathematics program! I can understand your concerns about the job market and transferability of credits. Here are my thoughts on your questions:

1. Is this program marketable from a job/career perspective?
The answer to this question depends on your interests and goals within the field of mathematics. From what you have described, it seems like this program would be a good fit for you if you are interested in pursuing a career in machine learning or artificial intelligence. These are rapidly growing fields with a high demand for individuals with strong mathematical skills. Additionally, the program's focus on numerical analysis and stochastic processes would also be valuable for operational research positions. However, it is always a good idea to research the job market and talk to professionals in the field to get a better understanding of the demand for this degree.

2. Are the course credits transferable to a Computer Science (or related) Master's program?
This would depend on the specific requirements and transfer policies of the program you are interested in. It is best to speak with an advisor or representative from the program to determine if any credits can be transferred. Additionally, some programs may require you to take additional courses to meet their specific requirements.

3. Which further academic programs can I pursue with this degree?
With a Master's degree in Applied and Computational Mathematics, you can pursue a Ph.D. in a related field such as mathematics, computer science, or engineering. However, as you mentioned, pursuing a Ph.D. is a significant commitment and it is important to carefully consider if it aligns with your career goals.

In terms of the quality of the program, I recommend researching the faculty and their areas of research, as well as reaching out to current students or alumni for their insights on the program. Additionally, you can look into the internship opportunities and research projects available to students in the program.

Overall, I believe this program can be a valuable step towards your career goals in machine learning or artificial intelligence. However, it is important to thoroughly research and consider all aspects before making your decision. I wish you all the best in your academic and career pursuits.

Related to Applied and Computational Math (MS) @ RIT, Program Opinion

1. What is the curriculum like for the Applied and Computational Math (MS) program at RIT?

The curriculum for the Applied and Computational Math (MS) program at RIT is highly interdisciplinary, combining advanced math courses with computer science and statistics courses. Students will also have the opportunity to take electives in areas such as data science, optimization, and numerical analysis to tailor their education to their specific interests and career goals.

2. What kind of job opportunities are available for graduates of this program?

Graduates of the Applied and Computational Math (MS) program at RIT are well-prepared for a variety of job opportunities in industries such as finance, healthcare, technology, and government. Some specific job titles that graduates may pursue include data analyst, financial analyst, operations research analyst, and software engineer.

3. How does RIT's program differ from other similar programs?

RIT's Applied and Computational Math (MS) program stands out from other similar programs due to its strong focus on both theoretical and practical applications of mathematics. The program also offers a wide range of elective courses, allowing students to customize their education to their specific interests and career goals.

4. Can students without a strong math background still be successful in this program?

While a strong foundation in mathematics is certainly beneficial for this program, it is not a requirement. RIT's program offers courses to help students strengthen their math skills as needed. Additionally, students with backgrounds in computer science or related fields may also be successful in this program with the right motivation and dedication.

5. Are there opportunities for research or internships in this program?

Yes, RIT's Applied and Computational Math (MS) program offers opportunities for both research and internships. The program has strong partnerships with industry leaders and research institutions, providing students with valuable hands-on experience and networking opportunities. Students may also have the opportunity to work on research projects with faculty members in their areas of interest.