Anyone Ever Taken an Online Math Class?

In summary, the online class would be beneficial to brush up on math skills before taking Calculus, but the lack of face-to-face interaction may hinder the student's ability to learn.
bballwaterboy
My school offers online courses and I'm considering taking one for Precalculus (to brush up on my skills before taking Calc.).

My question is whether or not taking an online course for math of all subjects would be detrimental in anyway. I'm not even sure how it's structured (still awaiting instructor email response), but the thought of not being able to have face-to-face interaction kind of bothers me slightly.

On the upside, I am recovering from a herniated disk!, so doing as many online courses this semester would be a great boon for me! I honestly don't want to move around too much and this would absolutely save me some physical pain/annoyance! :approve:

Still, math just seems like a subject that's not meant for online if you know what I mean. Anyone have experiences and care to share?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

I took both Algebra 1 and 2 online, with relative success. Many of my follow up math classes used online components to supplement the coursework.

Take a look at http://interactmath.com/home.aspx

Choose a textbook that resembles the level you will be taking, and you can get a good idea of what an online math class may be like.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

I actually spoke with the professor and was told it would be better to stay away from the online class in my case. I'm not so good with math and so I was told I'd benefit more from being able to interact more directly in person with a class setting. There were other factors in my case as well, but long story short I won't be taking it.

Thanks anyways though.

I took an Trig class online through WVU last summer, so I'd be able to skip into Calculus-I and Physics 201(Calculus based) this semester. I think it just takes discipline. By that I mean at this college most of the online classes split the course into two sections. Pre and post midterm. All the assignments in Pre-midterm are due before midterm break, post-midterm on the last day of semester. This allows you the push back responsibilities if you, for example, are not getting enough sleep. If you fall back on this cushion too much, then it'll end up in a far more chaotic post-midterm.

I'm not great at mathematics myself, but I believe there are enough resources on the internet and libraries that most people can be taught without Face-to-face interaction. If you have questions there are forums (we're on one). Though if you needed that face-to-face interaction there is always the option of getting a on/off campus tutor. Sorry if this didn't really help.

Related to Anyone Ever Taken an Online Math Class?

1. What is an online math class?

An online math class is a course in mathematics that is primarily offered and completed through the internet. This means that students do not have to physically attend a classroom and can instead access course materials, lectures, and assignments online.

2. How does an online math class work?

An online math class typically follows a similar structure to a traditional in-person class, but with the added convenience of being able to access materials and complete assignments online. Students may be required to watch lectures, complete readings, and participate in online discussions. Assignments and exams are usually submitted online as well.

3. What are the benefits of taking an online math class?

There are several benefits to taking an online math class. These include flexibility in scheduling, the ability to work at your own pace, and the convenience of being able to access materials from anywhere with an internet connection. Online classes also often offer a wider range of course options.

4. Can I get the same quality of education in an online math class?

While the format may be different, online math classes can offer the same quality of education as traditional in-person classes. Online courses are often taught by experienced and qualified instructors, and students still have access to course materials and support from the instructor.

5. How do I know if an online math class is right for me?

Deciding if an online math class is right for you will depend on your individual learning style and preferences. Consider if you are comfortable with technology, self-motivated, and able to manage your time effectively. It may also be helpful to speak with an academic advisor or someone who has taken an online math class before making a decision.