Answer Equations of Lines Tangent to xy+y=2 and xy+x=2

In summary, you found y' at (1,1) [your "m"] which is the same as your answer to problem 1. In problem 2, you found xy + x = 2 and put in the numbers (1, 1) and m which is the slope you calculated: -1/2.
ArmiAldi
i have 2 simmilar questions
1) Find the equation of the line tangent to the curve at the point
xy + y = 2 ; (1, 1) and i did this

xy + y = 2
y + xy' + y' = 0
xy' + y' = - y
y'(x + 1) = -y
y' = -y/(x + 1)
y' = -1/2
y- y_1 = m(x - x_1) and i hope so this is OK
but how can i do this one?
2) xy + x = 2 ; (1, 1) please help have to answer in 3 hours

Physics news on Phys.org
ArmiAldi said:
Well you found y' at (1,1) [your "m"]. In that form [itex]y- y_1 = m(x - x_1)[/itex], [itex](x_1,y_1)[/itex] is a point on the line...which you have.

ArmiAldi;17176 2) xy + x = 2 ; (1 said:
The same way...to find the equation of a line, you need (i) The gradient of the line and (ii) A point which lies on the line.

To find the gradient at a point, you find y' and then use the point given to find the gradient.

ArmiAldi said:
i have 2 simmilar questions
1) Find the equation of the line tangent to the curve at the point
xy + y = 2 ; (1, 1) and i did this

xy + y = 2
y + xy' + y' = 0
xy' + y' = - y
y'(x + 1) = -y
y' = -y/(x + 1)
y' = -1/2
That's good so far but what you give in your final line is a general formula, not the answer to this problem. What is your answer?

2) xy + x = 2 ; (1, 1) please help have to answer in 3 hours
?? You have these labled (1) and (2) so I thought they were different problems- but they are exactly the same. Are you just asking HOW to give the final answer? Use what you said above: y-y_1= m(x- x_1). (x_1, y_1) is, of course, the point you were given: (1, 1) and m is the slope you calculated: -1/2. Put those numbers in.

Related to Answer Equations of Lines Tangent to xy+y=2 and xy+x=2

1. What is the equation of the tangent line to xy+y=2?

The equation of the tangent line can be found by taking the derivative of the given equation and plugging in the x-coordinate of the point of tangency. In this case, the equation of the tangent line to xy+y=2 is y=-x+2.

2. How do you find the point of tangency for xy+y=2?

The point of tangency can be found by solving the given equation for y and setting it equal to the equation of the tangent line. This will result in a system of equations, which can be solved to find the x and y coordinates of the point of tangency.

3. Can you have more than one tangent line to xy+y=2?

Yes, it is possible to have more than one tangent line to a given equation. This occurs when the equation has multiple points of tangency or when the equation is a circle.

4. What is the general equation for a tangent line to any given curve?

The general equation for a tangent line to any given curve is y=mx+b, where m is the slope of the tangent line and b is the y-intercept. The slope can be found by taking the derivative of the given curve and plugging in the x-coordinate of the point of tangency.

5. How do you determine if a given line is tangent to xy+y=2 or xy+x=2?

A line is tangent to a given equation if it intersects the curve at only one point and has the same slope as the curve at that point. To determine if a given line is tangent to xy+y=2 or xy+x=2, we can solve the system of equations formed by setting the line equal to the derivative of the given equation and solving for the point of tangency. If the line and the curve have the same slope at that point, then the line is tangent to the curve.